DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting Interior Panel Doors

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  alejandro90 
#1 ·
I have some questions about painting interior Masonite doors? I’m hoping some of the professional painters that I’ve seen on here and on PaintTalk can help me out?

As mentioned these are Masonite doors. I’ve been trying to paint these doors to look as “smooth” and professional as I can. I am using a white semi-gloss paint with a Purdy brush. The doors have been removed from the jamb and all hardware has been removed and the doors have been layed in a horizontal position. I have also added Floetrol to the paint to help smooth it out.

Well the first coat went on great. Everything smoothed out nicely without any brush lines, looked almost sprayed on. I let the first coat dry for a few days and then applied a second coat. This coat wasn’t so nice. The paint didn’t flatten out as nicely and I can see some brush lines. Note they aren’t extreme, but I can see them if I shine a bright light on it, or direct sun hits it. Stand a foot or two back and you can’t make them out.

So my first question is, should I have used more Floetrol to help it flatten out more?

Also, these masonite doors have a wood grain pattern embossed in them. I noticed on the first coat the details of the pattern were still very visible, but the second coat started covering a lot of the texture. I realized that the more coats you put on the more loss of texture you get. Is this acceptable, or is my paint just too “thick”?

Thanks for any help or advice!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi chrisn...thanks for replying...I've been reading your posts on another Paint forum.

The brand of paint I am using is Ace Royal Ultra White. Yes, yes I know it probably doesn't rank up there with SW and BM, but it has performed well for me so far with my trim and baseboards. (I believe the closest BM or SW store is about 4 hours away from me...I live in a remote area with limited choices.) Keep in mind that I am an_l about my painting. I have to say it probably takes be well over 10 hours just to do my trim in a small bedroom...prime, sand, prime, sand, first coat, sand lightly and then finish coat. All with the Ace paint and the trim is baby smooth. Not the same for the doors.

The doors came preprimed. I've been reading some of the other posts and from what others have said, people should not rely on the manufacturers primer...wish I had read that before starting my doors. So do you recommend that all primed doors get a fresh coat of primer? Do you think this would have eliminated my brush lines? If so, why didn't they show up during the first coat?

Thanks again for all your help and anyone one else that has some words of advice!

#4 ·
I always re prime previously" pre primed" material.I do not think that has anything to do with you're problem. The Ace is OK, so I am thinking that maybe you are spreading the second coat to thin.I would use a small 3 inch roller with a 1/4 in nap to lay the paint on and then brush it out with your brush.Work quickly as the new latex's dry pretty fast.

#5 ·
Use the same brush for both coats? If so, did you clean the brush really well? Paint inside or outside in direct sunlight when doing any of the coats?

I have never used Royal. I have thought about trying it as I have read it is pretty good paint. I have to agree some of todays paint dries fast, almost too fast for my liking sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.