Painting Interior Doors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Painting interior doors

Some of our interior doors (painted white) are starting to look crummy.

The trim around the doors has been painted within the last year with semi gloss bright white (which isn't helping the doors any).

I want to paint the doors but not sure how to go about it. There is a faint fake wood grain I don't want to loose but I think if I carefully brush it it will be ok.

My biggest question is should I paint the doors in semi gloss like the trim or should it be more of a ceiling white flat finish? I want to go together nicely without it sticking out either.

What do you guys normally do or what is the general practice.

Figured I'd chip away at them little by little - maybe by the the time the las door is done it will be time for the first one again - I think I counted around 35 doors in my house

Advertisement

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 06-21-2013 at 12:24 AM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,500

Painting interior doors

Clean them and paint them the same semi-gloss white as the trim. There is an order to painting sections of the door to keep the fake wood grain looking correct. You should be able to Google it, as it's easier to show than describe in words.

Advertisement

jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Painting interior doors

Thanks and to be clear the doors "wood grain" is more of a 3D type surface it indents in.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I tried to google it and it came back with "faux" wood but it didn't look like mine I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting interior doors-image-2783890922.jpg   Painting interior doors-image-2465841938.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,500

Painting interior doors

Yeah, that's normal.

Well, I take it back. It's mind boggling, but I can't find a single picture on the web that actually gets this right and is simple enough to follow.

Take a look here.
http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works...-exterior.html

First paint the panels - both the recessed part and the depression. Doesn't matter what order you paint the panels. Paint in the direction of the grain.

The following makes perfect logical sense once you realize you want to paint with the grain, and you don't want to wreck previous grain you've painted.

After the panels, paint the mullion all the way from top to bottom. Next, paint the top rail, lock rail and bottom rail, in any order. Finally, paint the 2 stiles all the way from top to bottom (lock stile and hinge stile.)
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting interior doors

What about the toe or the heel?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Painting interior doors

yes ,paint doors semi like the trim .the doors you show are very easy to paint .a pro can knock them out in under 10 min per side .its hard to mess them up
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting interior doors

Just make sure you have a good brush to start. I used a Purdy or Wooster 2.5" angled sash brush, matched to the type paint, most often.

And please note that "bright white white" is very unforgiving. I would think about doing the doors and trim in something a bit off white. Your eye will still read it as white but it will not look so stark or make wall color look muddy.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Painting interior doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
yes ,paint doors semi like the trim .the doors you show are very easy to paint .a pro can knock them out in under 10 min per side .its hard to mess them up
Yea, staying with the grain like Jeff described is good practice on any door. But the kind pictured are quite forgiving. They can even look pretty good done with a small roller. Or roller and brushed out.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-21-2013), user1007 (06-21-2013)