Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Painting interior doors

I am replacing 15 interior doors in my house.I tried using semi gloss latex paint on one door with a Purdy brush and can't hide those brush marks.I thought about spraying them. I have my own 6hp 33gal 150 psi compressor.Any suggestions on a good spray gun? Is the Ingersoll-Rand 270 G HVLP a decent gun or junk? http://www.irtools.com/lowes/270g.html
I need an education here.Tip size to spray doors is? One guy said he sets his nozzle pressure with a 0-60 psi gauge by the handle and takes it off.This is all new to me. I have shot ceilings in my house but never sprayed paint on anything.Help!I want all my hard work hanging pre hung doors to look nice.Paul

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Painting interior doors

What brand of paint are you using?

wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Painting interior doors

I am using Behr Premium Plus semi gloss enamel from Home Depot. I can use another brand if thats what it takes.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting interior doors

That is absolutely the wrong kind of sprayer for your project and your type of paint
Unfortunately this is not a project for your compressor

You want to rent an "airless"

I'd suggest a better grade of paint also
I've sprayed the Behr and it's just not that good
Easy to sag, too many coats to cover

(Also does not level out brush marks well...hmmmm....)

I'd suggest the premium Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams lines (Regal/Cashmere)
Or even better a nice waterborne enamel from either (BM Waterborne Impervo/SW Waterborne Pro Classic)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #5

Painting interior doors

Will these better quality brands of paint you are suggesting hide brush marks well enough to give these doors a quality look?

I'd suggest the premium Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams lines (Regal/Cashmere)
Or even better a nice waterborne enamel from either (BM Waterborne Impervo/SW Waterborne Pro Classic)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Painting interior doors

I made the mistake of buying Behr, and I can definitely say that everything I painted with a brush has brush strokes... some have to be looked at very closely to be seen, but they're there. Unfortunately, I haven't had the money to go try out a better quality paint, yet.
wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Painting interior doors

Have you tried Floetrol? Evens out latex paint for brushing.If Oil is used then Penatrol is the go to product.These products are made by Flood.
http://www.flood.com/flood/

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

Painting interior doors

Will these better quality brands of paint you are suggesting hide brush marks well enough to give these doors a quality look?

If the brush marks are already there you will need to sand them out, the paint will not hide them,and get far away from Behr, as far as you can.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #9

Painting interior doors

I also figured out that when I was using latex paint every so often while I was painting a door I would clean the brush thoroughly with soap and water, shake it out good and it created less brush marks. When the bristles were constantly clogged with paint it was harder to work with.
On an earlier post someone suggested Ben Moore / Sherman Williams lines of paint ( Classic/Regal ). And then they said even better is a nice waterbourne enamel from either ( BM Waterborne Impervo/SW Waterborne Pro Classic )Does anyone know if Classic /Regal is a step below Waterborne?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Painting interior doors

You can use the most expensive paint on the shelf.But, if it is a spray smooth finish your looking(Via Brushing) for as I posted, try out flood conditioners.They will keep you from getting dish pan hands from all that unnecessary washing of your brush.You should be using a new to newer brush any way. Also as mentioned, sand out all the brush marks you already have and start again.I have used flood products for a few decades now and they work! The only other way to get what you seem to be looking for is to spray your doors.Airless sprayer! It would seem to me that 15 doors which equates to 30 sides not to mention all the jams and trim,that I personaly would have gone with a sprayer.To each their own I guess.Good Luck.

Last edited by mark942; 03-06-2008 at 10:04 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Penniless Parent/HO

Rewards Points: 10

Painting interior doors

Silly question here, did you apply two coats? I painted some new masonite bifold doors with Behr semigloss that was leftover from another job. One-coat coverage was not 100% but the second coat was perfect.
mikebal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #12

Painting interior doors

I really think I need a better brand of paint then Behr after listening to some of the responses here. I did use the Floetrol and it helped even with the Behr. Does everyone recommend using the Floetrol exactly as the directions say or add a little more?
These doors I am installing are sold in Home Depot made by Masonite and called the Bellagio. They are housed next to the ever popular 6 panel models. Any way the trim set on each side of the door is raised which I really like because the look is different and eye catching in the house. So I want the finish to look as clean as possible with as few brush marks as possible. I am going to try the SW Pro Classic semi gloss latex paint.
I am new to installing pre hung doors meaning I am slow. I don't feel like waiting to get them all hung and then paint so I am painting as I go. That is why I don't go airless but who knows maybe I will get tired of brushing and spray them. For now as long as the Lakers are winning I can paint a door while I watch the game.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #13

Painting interior doors

I know you used a Purdy brush but not every expensive brush made for latex or "all paints" paint will do a good job with enamels. The problem may be that your brush's bristles are too soft and not releasing the paint as you go. Try a Wooster brush or a Dunn-Edwards brush that is specifically designed for painting with latex enamels. You will notice a big difference right away. The bristles are stiffer (firmer) and they don't splay out as much so you do not drag across the finish nearly as much.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #14

Painting interior doors

I did apply 2 coats. But as you read here from others you get what you pay for. It sounds like Behr is not the choice to use. I am going to try a quart of SW Pro Classic. As funny as this may sound these doors I bought make the whole house look nicer versus the original flat doors that came with the place. The raised trim gives the door some character.And the satin nickel hinges and door knobs just help bring the house into this century.But what do I know. Call me vain but when I am standing in front of the door and I see these brush marks I feel like all my hard work installing them went out the window so if the pro Classic paint can reduce the brush marks to a point that I can live with it then my life is complete.Call me shallow. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #15

Painting interior doors

I will try a new brand of brush