Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting the Inside of a Log Home

The inside of the log home I moved into has no point on the logs inside. They are currently simply white color, the natural wood. I would like to "paint" them dark brown, but I would still like the wood to show through. Do I use regular house paint, or do I use a stain? Is there a special kind of product I should be using on the logs for the interior?

Thanks . . .

teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You might want to look at getting it shot with a medium blast. Take the logs back to bare wood. It really is not that expensive to have done or to do by ones self.Then you might want to use a clear finish. Also a picture might be in order to get a better response. Good Luck......................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcanada View Post
The inside of the log home I moved into has no point on the logs inside. They are currently simply white color, the natural wood. I would like to "paint" them dark brown, but I would still like the wood to show through. Do I use regular house paint, or do I use a stain? Is there a special kind of product I should be using on the logs for the interior?

Thanks . . .
You don't want to use paint, If it was me I would use Sikkens interior cetol stain, be sure not to use an exterior log stain on your interior. There is no reason to media blast the interior of your cabin, media blasting is done on the exterior when the logs have gone to long with out staining or re-stining. Its used to strip off old stain.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
There is no reason to media blast the interior of your cabin, media blasting is done on the exterior when the logs have gone to long with out staining or re-stining. Its used to strip off old stain.

I live in a log home and have media blasted all logs in my home. That is because some one used STAIN. There is ONE reason to media blast. I like the natural look of logs. Reason 2) Media blasting is done on the interior and the exterior, Corn, walnut shells, etc. It is used to strip off old stain. To make quote.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
I live in a log home and have media blasted all logs in my home. That is because some one used STAIN. There is ONE reason to media blast. I like the natural look of logs. Reason 2) Media blasting is done on the interior and the exterior, Corn, walnut shells, etc. It is used to strip off old stain. To make quote.

He said the inside of his home is natural and he wants to darken it, so if there is nothing on the inside of his home now and he wants to darken it and have the wood show through then he has to appliyt a product ment for interior log homes such as sikkens interior transparent stain. I'm familiar with applying preservatives and stains to log homes and also blasting, another reason you would media blast is if the prior stain/preservative is unknown, because a lot of them are not compatible, another words once you start with one brand/one log system stick with it. If there is a stain/preservative/clear on the inside then he may have to blast it.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcanada View Post

Thanks . . .
Some times people do not know when a semi has been used. OR maybe a acrylic clear coat. Media blasting is a good way to get a fresh look. I made a opinion based on my experiences. Nothing more was added other than a request for some pictures. You come along bash my posting by saying blasting is not necessary. I gave out one option. IF you have other options then make postings of those options. This is a self help format, your options as mine are not the only ones available. Stomping on others posts or opinions seems to me to be counter productive.

Good Luck with your home TeamCanada.