Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting Help!?!?

I am getting ready to paint my 3/2 house. My walls are pretty dirty due to living here for four years and having three kids, anyway I need advice on how to paint my walls to get the most coverage. I have been told that paint and primer in one is crap so what should I do? Which brands do you prefer? Also, what type of brushes and roller would I need, I am only painting walls and they have the knockdown texture. Thanks in advance for any good advice!

MrsWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Painting Help!?!?

If you'd called me for an estimate I'd recommend two coats of Sherwin Williams Cashmere low luster.

The brush I'd use is a Corona Cortez 2.5inch angled and either a 1/2inch nap purdy microfiber or white dove.

If you don't have access to Sherwin Williams I'd use Benjamin Moore Regal Select satin.

Hope that helps!

rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Dave88LX (02-27-2014), Gymschu (02-26-2014), MrsWalker (02-25-2014), Startingover (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #3

Painting Help!?!?

Got to clean the walls first if you want it to stick.
Dave88LX (02-27-2014), MrsWalker (02-27-2014), Startingover (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #4

Painting Help!?!?

I would agree with RB except I think with knockdown I might go with a 3/4 nap roller. Knockdown is notorious for leaving those little spots around the texture called holidays. A deeper nap roller will help get rid of these. As far as primer since the walls are already painted unless your doing a drastic color change you shouldn't need any.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-26-2014), MrsWalker (02-27-2014), Startingover (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Painting Contractor

Painting Help!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I would agree with RB except I think with knockdown I might go with a 3/4 nap roller. Knockdown is notorious for leaving those little spots around the texture called holidays. A deeper nap roller will help get rid of these. As far as primer since the walls are already painted unless your doing a drastic color change you shouldn't need any.
Your prolly right with a 3/4. I rarely deal with knockdown, all smooth walls here.
rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
MrsWalker (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Painting Help!?!?

I agree with the Cashmere and 1/2 inch roller. I just painted 2 jobs in a row with sprayed on knockdown texture and used 1/2 with low lustre Cashmere on both, and holidays around texture were not an issue. I probably depends on the depth of your texture. Since Cashmere is designed to have a minuscule sag to help with coverage and give the rich look, a 3/4 roller may apply to much paint... depends on your painting style.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kkeith For This Useful Post:
MrsWalker (02-27-2014), ToolSeeker (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Painting Contractor

Painting Help!?!?

I would probably go with the 1/2" cover also. The Wooster Super Fab is a great option for this type of surface. Whatever cover you get, don't get a cheap one, they tend to flatten out very quickly and not hold a sufficient amount of paint. Also get a professional grade 2 1/2" nylon polyester brush.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VAProPainter For This Useful Post:
MrsWalker (02-27-2014), ToolSeeker (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Painting Help!?!?

one of these would do it

no such a hot pic, it is an Arroworthy 1/2 in microfiber
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
MrsWalker (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Painting Help!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
one of these would do it

no such a hot pic, it is an Arroworthy 1/2 in microfiber

Yes, get a microfiber if you can. They are So much better. No shedding, and low splatter.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
MrsWalker (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Painting Help!?!?

The walls are already painted with Kelly Moore Antique White FLAT paint, which is why I am so hesitant to wash them, I already tried that right after we moved in, the kids got there fingerprints on the wall near the light switch and well needless to say I must re-texture the area that I washed. I want to keep the color the same since it is only a rental and we are only going to be living there another year or so until I graduate. So the Sherwin Williams Cashmere Low Luster, is it washable? Also, in regards to the Benjamin Moore Satin, will that show the imperfections because the people that did this drywall, texture and paint really just slapped in on and so there are imperfections everywhere you look. I do prefer a more washable painted surface vs the flat paint.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Painting Contractor

Painting Help!?!?

If you want to use the same color and you are renting, I would stick with Kelly Moore. The paint will be less expensive, and you will not need to paint entire rooms if you don't need to. Cashmere is a rather expensive paint without a contractor discount. Antique White is one of Kelly Moore's standard pre packaged off whites. If you wanted to stay with flat, use an upgraded KM paint like their #550 AcryPlex flat or (#1610 eggshell), which is washable. It was probably painted with a lower KM paint line previously. You may be able to use the contractor line called their Professional Line which is the #1000 line (#1005 flat, #1010 eggshell, etc.) If you are going to paint all the walls use the #1010 eggshell which will be plenty washable at a reasonable price. Most of the contributors here are from the east coast where Kelly Moore is not available, and make national brand recommendations since those are more universally available to everyone in the country wherever they may be reading from.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kkeith For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-27-2014), MrsWalker (02-27-2014), rbriggs82 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #12

Painting Help!?!?

kkeith, thank you for that helpful information. I guess I should have put that we are in central texas, to get better responses. Everyone here has been so helpful to me, and yes we are going to paint all the walls. I like the sound of the eggshell considering it is washable!!!

Tags
brushes, dirty walls, paint, primer, rollers