Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Painting Hardiplanks

We are about to install already primed Hardiplanks and plan to use Ben Moore's 100% acrylic as specified. Has anyone out there prepainted (on sawhorses) the planks before they go up? The caulk and touch up could happen after the planks were installed... am I missing a big point here that makes this a bad idea?
leezarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #2

Painting Hardiplanks

Hope you have a couple acres to lay all the siding out to dry.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Painting Hardiplanks

I know it's a little late now, but you honestly would have saved yourself ALOT of extra work by just ordering the pre-painted Hardie Board siding.
Example:

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #4

Painting Hardiplanks

As stated by another poster, you are creating alot of work for yourself. IMHO: Just install it and paint after....
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Pro Painter

Painting Hardiplanks

Did you know that you still have to prim your hardiplank with masonry primer? Check with your local paint store. They should be able to explain to you about pH level on the hardiplanks.
TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
I have gas!

Painting Hardiplanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Did you know that you still have to prim your hardiplank with masonry primer? Check with your local paint store. They should be able to explain to you about pH level on the hardiplanks.
I thought unfinished hardiplank came preprimed.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #7

Painting Hardiplanks

We have not ordered the planks yet... and have considered the pre-painted ..we like the chestnut brown. Just looking at options now... and input from those experienced. How much more expensive is the color plus?
My impression on the preprimed was that if you get it painted soon enough, you do not have to prime it again. We thought if we could get on one coat of paint while it was on the ground, it would be easier than so much ladder work.
Our house is small so we figured we could paint and put it up in wall sections... not need acres to spread it out in to paint and let it dry... and it's just me and the hubby so nothin's gonna happen all that quick. We are having fun.

Thanks for all your input...
Old 12-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #8

Painting Hardiplanks

My mom and dad did it that way. Mom would paint a small stack and lay it out to dry. Dad would work off the stack that had already dried. It took them about a month but they got it done that way. And I believe they gave it a final coat after it was all installed.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #9

Painting Hardiplanks

On the color plus planks... I don't know if anyone who carries them, I believe they are all by order, so I am curious as to what the colors actually look like. Are the colors true to the ones on the website?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #10

Painting Hardiplanks

XSleeper... thanks for the info about your mom and dad...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #11

Painting Hardiplanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezarrd View Post
On the color plus planks... I don't know if anyone who carries them, I believe they are all by order, so I am curious as to what the colors actually look like. Are the colors true to the ones on the website?
Go to a buidling supplier and get samples. Usually, they will hook you up with one of their salesmen who can help you with everything....

We have Hardieplank siding sample "kits" with atual pieces of the siding with the different factory painted colors. We use those kits to help our customers make their decisions on actual visible colors.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #12

Painting Hardiplanks

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #13

Painting Hardiplanks

Call James Hardie 1-866-442-7343
They sent us several 4" x 6" samples of prefinished Hardiplank at N/C in summer 2007.

Good Luck with your project
cjk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #14

Painting Hardiplanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
This is incorrect... Planks come primed unless you are specifically special ordering unprimed product. The only product that comes unprimed is a couple of the Heritage Shingle panel products... No masonry primer is necessary--please read manufacturer's install instructions!
sidemouzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #15

Painting Hardiplanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezarrd View Post
We have not ordered the planks yet... and have considered the pre-painted ..we like the chestnut brown. Just looking at options now... and input from those experienced. How much more expensive is the color plus?
My impression on the preprimed was that if you get it painted soon enough, you do not have to prime it again. We thought if we could get on one coat of paint while it was on the ground, it would be easier than so much ladder work.
Our house is small so we figured we could paint and put it up in wall sections... not need acres to spread it out in to paint and let it dry... and it's just me and the hubby so nothin's gonna happen all that quick. We are having fun.

Thanks for all your input...
You have 180 days to paint HardiePlank after installation to remain inside the warranty guidelines...

Prepainting is simply unnecessary as is predrilling/screwing this product. Two coats of a high grade acrylic paint will look good for many, many years. If you decide to go with the prepainted colorplus product, make sure you are sold the touch-up kits for your chestnut brown (or any color you purchase) so you can caulk the abut to gaps between plank/trim, so you can touchup any scuffs on the product during installation, and to paint any unpainted/cut edges. Typicall price premium for colorplus is about 25-27% more expensive, but the value is the cost savings from not needing a painter and the color consistency throughout the home. Actual colors vary slightly from the website colors, but as stated by another poster, you can call and ask for samples directly from James Hardie at 1-800-9HARDIE option 3, or by contacting your local dealer.

All of the install/product info can be found on the JH website...
sidemouzer is offline   Reply With Quote