Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Texas
Posts: 58
Share |
Default

Painting Garage Walls


I want to paint my interior garage walls. They have primer on them already. What type of prep work do I need to do before I strat painting. Also, how do I clean the paint brushes & rollers after I am done for the day?

PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
NAV
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 149
Default

Painting Garage Walls


if it has been longer than 30 days since the primer was applied you should prime again. i like Sherwin-Williams PrepRite ProBlock latex.

after the walls are primed, i like to use an exterior satin in garages. its more durable than an interior paint. try Sherwin-Williams A-100 satin latex.

as far as your brush and roller - wash your brush out every night, and if you use a roller pan try putting it in a trash bag with the roller and make it air tight. it will last for a day or two. or dump the paint back in the gallon and roll the roller up in plastic, tucking the ends into the roller sleeve. when you are done throw the roller cover away, don't be cheap they are only $5

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
100 Year Family Tradition
 
4ThGeneration's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 111
Default

Painting Garage Walls


What type of finish are the walls?

Are they concrete block

or


Are they Sheetrock?

Is this garage being used to park cars, or has it been converted into a rec space for other uses?


Let me know and I can suggest for you.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Texas
Posts: 58
Default

Painting Garage Walls


The walls are sheet rock. The garage will be used for parking my car & working on my car.

I bought some cheap roller cover (pink) from home depot yesterday. They were on special for like $9.00 for 8 of them. Tried one yesterday afternoon & I think it sucked. They didn't hold much paint at all. Took me 1 hour to paint just one wall with it. Is it normal to take a hour for one wall???
PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
100 Year Family Tradition
 
4ThGeneration's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 111
Default

Painting Garage Walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
The walls are sheet rock. The garage will be used for parking my car & working on my car.

I bought some cheap roller cover (pink) from home depot yesterday. They were on special for like $9.00 for 8 of them. Tried one yesterday afternoon & I think it sucked. They didn't hold much paint at all. Took me 1 hour to paint just one wall with it. Is it normal to take a hour for one wall???
If you worked for me I would fire you and have you air lifted(My foot in your butt) to the nearest soup line lol.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Painting Garage Walls


No its not normal, but spending $9 for 8 rollers I can only assume that you bought equally crappy paint so.......avoid the box store and go to an independent, tell them what you are doing and you dont wanna spend a ton of money. They should be able to set you up and things should go smoothly with the project.

I can get you a decent 5 gal of flat ( better than any garbage from the blue and orange guys ) for about $70
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Texas
Posts: 58
Default

Painting Garage Walls


A friend of mine gave me some behr paint that he never used. It was free so I am using it.
PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
100 Year Family Tradition
 
4ThGeneration's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 111
Default

Painting Garage Walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
A friend of mine gave me some behr paint that he never used. It was free so I am using it.

Sorry, but Being free does not always mean its a good thing. You can get aids for free, but who wants it?
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,758
Default

Painting Garage Walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
Sorry, but Being free does not always mean its a good thing. You can get aids for free, but who wants it?
Oh Snap.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Painting Garage Walls


I've used different paints for years
I recently did a test - Behr VS Glidden (also inexpensive)
Same wall, same prep, same brushes used
The Behr went on like sticky mud & sagged
The Glidden went on smooth & easy
So easy that I used the same 4" brush to paint all of the basement stairway walls with thebrush & Glidden

There is a saying on this board
Better to leave your walls BARE then to use Behr
I will never use Behr again...period ( I thought I was a lousy painter)
I also bought a decent roller setup (Wooster Sherlock) & roller (Purdy I think)

As you have just found out saving $$ sometimes is not actually saving you anything & may cost you more if you have to sand/redo the paint job
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
Coatings Nerd
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Painting Garage Walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I've used different paints for years
I recently did a test - Behr VS Glidden (also inexpensive)
Same wall, same prep, same brushes used
The Behr went on like sticky mud & sagged
The Glidden went on smooth & easy
So easy that I used the same 4" brush to paint all of the basement stairway walls with thebrush & Glidden

There is a saying on this board
Better to leave your walls BARE then to use Behr
I will never use Behr again...period ( I thought I was a lousy painter)
I also bought a decent roller setup (Wooster Sherlock) & roller (Purdy I think)

As you have just found out saving $$ sometimes is not actually saving you anything & may cost you more if you have to sand/redo the paint job

Well said sir...well said.

NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
painting over textured walls letigre Painting 3 07-29-2008 04:12 PM
OSB Walls in Garage Chris B Building & Construction 8 12-20-2007 10:12 AM
Painting inside of garage door PUNISHER VETTE Painting 10 07-10-2007 11:06 PM
Can I get away with only painting plasterboard walls??? JoJo Painting 3 09-24-2006 08:33 PM
painting 18' walls sedona48 Painting 1 02-07-2004 06:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.