Painting Garage Doors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting garage doors

I'd like to paint our wood garage doors white. They are currently red/white, like a checkboard pattern. I've done plenty of interior painting but none exterior before.

I know Behr has some interior latex paint with primer, is there any exterior paint with primer in it?

Should I use just a primer, then paint? Latex?

How should I prep the door, is pressure washing good enough?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

Advertisement

Scott Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
I'd like to paint our wood garage doors white. They are currently red/white, like a checkboard pattern. I've done plenty of interior painting but none exterior before.

I know Behr has some interior latex paint with primer, is there any exterior paint with primer in it?

Should I use just a primer, then paint? Latex?

How should I prep the door, is pressure washing good enough?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.
Clean the surface well, scrape and sand as needed, apply a quality primer and then apply a quality 100% acrylic paint

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 170

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Clean the surface well, scrape and sand as needed, apply a quality primer and then apply a quality 100% acrylic paint
I'm about to do the same thing. Just went to the local paint store and they told me to use 100% acrylic primer and paint. I bought the better Benjamin Moore stuff.

Tackling this project any weekend now.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #4

Painting garage doors

If these doors are wooden I wood first strip the paint from the doors. If youare not familiar with this I would get someone to do just that step for you who has done it before. Then you can do your sanding, and if you wish to power wash, that would be next, (IMO I think a good old rinse from an outside hose will do the trick) after the wood has dried I would then condition it (won't hurt) then you wanna decide on semi-transparent stain (will show the natural grain of the wood) or solid stain (will cover the grain almost completely); apply the stain and then after you are done applting the number of coates of stain you will wanna seal it with a couple coats of a good POLY!!! Hope this helps...
Darien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien View Post
If these doors are wooden I wood first strip the paint from the doors. If youare not familiar with this I would get someone to do just that step for you who has done it before. Then you can do your sanding, and if you wish to power wash, that would be next, (IMO I think a good old rinse from an outside hose will do the trick) after the wood has dried I would then condition it (won't hurt) then you wanna decide on semi-transparent stain (will show the natural grain of the wood) or solid stain (will cover the grain almost completely); apply the stain and then after you are done applting the number of coates of stain you will wanna seal it with a couple coats of a good POLY!!! Hope this helps...
There's no need to strip the doors down to bare wood assuming the old paint is in good shape and the surface is cleaned properly.

The OP said he wants white. Just prime and paint with a quality white acrylic paint. (Behr is a very poor choice)

There's no way I'd every put coats of Poly on top. Once it starts to peel it'll be a major PIA.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 170

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
There's no need to strip the doors down to bare wood assuming the old paint is in good shape and the surface is cleaned properly.

The OP said he wants white. Just prime and paint with a quality white acrylic paint. (Behr is a very poor choice)

There's no way I'd every put coats of Poly on top. Once it starts to peel it'll be a major PIA.
I'm new to exterior painting but this is what was recommended to me at the local paint shop. 100% acrylic primer and paint. I'm going to do a little scraping of anything loose, and then paint. I only hope to get a few more years out of my doors until I replace them.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

Painting garage doors

Quote:

Scott didn't mention the condition of the current paint.

So your saying to just prime and paoint thats it? Just prime and paint (acrylic at that) for an exterior project on wood? Sorry but I'll have to disagree there.

And there was no mention of poly on top of paint. If you read what I wrote this was all pertaining to stain not paint.

Sorry, but I just look at things as this: If you're gonna do something do it right... The doors weren't done right to begin with now Scott has to re-due them...

Just my opinion people! We have to agree to disagree..
Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #8

Painting garage doors

Oh and I forgot to mention; like paint, stain can now be customized to fit anyones personal preferance. So if scott wanted to paint it all white and wanted that painted look, he can go with a solid base stain in white!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #9

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Scott didn't mention the condition of the current paint.

So your saying to just prime and paoint thats it? Just prime and paint (acrylic at that) for an exterior project on wood? Sorry but I'll have to disagree there.
That's why I said, "assuming the old paint is in good shape and the surface is cleaned properly".

Quote:
Sorry, but I just look at things as this: If you're gonna do something do it right... The doors weren't done right to begin with now Scott has to re-due them...
Where did Scott say the doors weren't done right to begin with?? He simply said they're checkerboard. Nothing was mentioned about the condition of the coating.

Quote:
Just my opinion people! We have to agree to disagree..
Read first, then we can decide to agree or disagree.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

Painting garage doors

Quote:
That's why I said, "assuming the old paint is in good shape and the surface is cleaned properly".

Where did Scott say the doors weren't done right to begin with?? He simply said they're checkerboard. Nothing was mentioned about the condition of the coating.

Read first, then we can decide to agree or disagree.

Exactly, read first!! You said a mouth full right there. He didn't say they weren't done right, but you have to assume that being that he didn't say. Why else would you wanna re-do something that doesn't need to be done? OK, maybe he don't like the colors; thats a good reason... Well enough said. If they weren't done wrong before, they sure as heck are gonna be done wrong now...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #11

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Why else would you wanna re-do something that doesn't need to be done?
Uhh, the checkerboard pattern would be enough for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #12

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Uhh, the checkerboard pattern would be enough for me.
Lol... I think Scott is thinking the same thing...
Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Painting garage doors

Scrape loose paint and sand if needed, wash the doors with tsp or similar product, rinse well, let dry a couple of days, apply a quality exterior primer, caulk anything that neededs it and apply 2 coats of a quality 100% acrylic latex paint
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #14

Painting garage doors

I just go an email saying this thread was posted to.

So in the meantime I have scraped all I could scrape off. It looks like the original colour was some sort of light purple (house was built in the 80's). Then at some point was painted over white with red in a checkerboard pattern. Our weather has been pretty bad, lots of rain so it's taken a month to just get both doors primered. Actually it looks good just with the white primer lol.

I used kilz primer, and will paint with, yes, Behr exterior paint

1 gallon to do both doors, so I should only have to use 1 to the Behr.

But it looks 100% better already. Updates the look a lot.
Scott Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting garage doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
I just go an email saying this thread was posted to.

I used kilz primer, and will paint with, yes, Behr exterior paint

1 gallon to do both doors, so I should only have to use 1 to the Behr.
Probably a spammer posted & it was deleted
Behr.....hope it comes out OK
I won't use Behr any more

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote