Painting A Garage Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a garage door

What I have is an aluminum clad garage door. It came in a cream color (maybe almond) and I want to paint it the same as the remainder of the trim on my house. What is the best way to prep this to paint?

Advertisement

dfoxworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 330

Painting a garage door

I would say wash, then prime and paint with a good "Exterior" primer and paint. Sherwin Williams Super paint as worked well for me on garage doors. Also, I like to use a semi-gloss or satin for ease of cleaning in the future.

Advertisement

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #3

Painting a garage door

Is there something special I should use to wash it? I've seen where sanding is recommended, but I'm not sure I want to do that, nor does it make sense to me to scratch up the finish on this door. Any ideas on this?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

Painting a garage door

You could use "TSP" or "Good old soap and water" to clean it. Just be sure to rinse it good. I don't think sanding would be necessary, unless the paint is peeling or flaking.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #5

Painting a garage door

Thanks for the info
Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Drywall and Painting Pro

Painting a garage door

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoxworthy View Post
Thanks for the info
No problem. Glad I could help.

Good Luck! I'm sure it will look Great.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Painting a garage door

With utmost respect for the previous advice given, if it wuz me, I'd check to see what paint was on the door now, and try to stay with a harder drying paint so that the door's surface remains hard, tough and durable enough to stand up to hard scrubbing.

I'm sure any exterior latex would work well, but it's very possible that you have an oil based paint on that door now. If so, you may have a bit of a problem with adhesion of the latex to the oil based paint. Latex paints have problems sticking to smooth surfaces, and your existing paint may be too smooth for good adhesion of the latex. In that case, you could sand the surface, or try a chemical deglosser called "Liquid Sandpaper".

What I'd do is wet a Kleenex with acetone (or nail polish remover) and clean a small area of that door in an inconspicuous spot. If the acetone or nail polish remover removes the almond paint quickly and easily, then there's a latex paint on it now. if it doesn't remove the paint readily, then it's an oil based paint (or perhaps a powder coating) on it now.

If you do have an oil based paint, you can check how well a latex or another oil will stick to it as follows: Clean the surface in a small area, allow to dry, and apply your paint. Now, score through the new paint in a checkerboard pattern with a razor. Apply ordinary masking tape over that scored up area, and then pull it off quickly. The more paint that comes off your old paint with the tape, the lower the adhesion. Generally, if 80 percent of more of the paint stays on, you've already got good adhesion and don't need to sand. The more paint that comes off, the more you need to sand for good adhesion. Oil based paints stick better to smooth surfaces than latex paints.

If you have an oil based paint now, then top coating it with a softer latex paint wouldn't be my first choice. I'd put an exterior alkyd paint on which will dry to a harder film. If your (or someone else's kids) start slap shotting hockey pucks against that door, or the basketball keeps hitting the door instead of the hoop, a harder paint will stand up much better to hard scrubbing to remove any marks (or whatever).

If you don't think that'll ever be a possibility, even if you sell the house to someone with a truckload of teenagers, then stick with the latex.

Now, if you live where there's intense sunlight or high humidity and mildew problems on exterior paints outdoors, then stick with the exterior alkyd, which has UV blockers and mildewcides in it to protect the paint from chaulking or having mildew growing on it. However, if you live further north where the sunlight isn't as intense and the humidity is lower, I'd be inclined to go with an interior alkyd that will dry to a harder film than an exterior alkyd.

(If you have problems with chaulking or mildew in future, you could always clean the surface and repaint over that interior alkyd with an exterior alkyd to permanently solve the problem.)

I'm sure a latex would work, but if there's a hard coating on that door now, it'd be my choice to take advantage of that and use a paint that will also dry to a hard surface.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-22-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote