DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting a Garage

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ltd 
#1 ·
I have a very old garage with very badly peeling paint. I included a picture for reference. I tried to power wash the paint off but it's a mess and damages the wood. I tried to scrape but that's a massive pain.

I would like to repaint this but I am at a loss as to how to do this over the existing paint.

See less See more
#2 ·
Going to need to use a paint scraper and a random orbital sander to feather it out.
If it was mine I'd replace that old wood door with a new metal one, and wrap the old trim boards with new coil stock or replace the wood trim with vinyl lumber so it never needs to be painted again.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
#4 ·
P.S. You can't power wash those type of doors. In fact, aggressive scraping and sanding can do more damage as well. Those kind of doors are made up of wood fibers, that, once the door starts peeling, the fibers just flake off in waves as you scrape. Be gentle with your scraping. Also, oil based primer before painting. That's the only kind of primer that will lock in those fibers so they don't turn to powder before you repaint.

#5 ·
Will a heat gun work to remove paint on that surface, or will it damage those fibers?

I agree with the advice to get a new metal/vinyl door. That door looks like the kind that was used in my neighborhood, and all the original ones eventually look bad, no matter how they try to maintain it. If you can afford it....

#6 ·
Will a heat gun work to remove paint on that surface, or will it damage those fibers?
Jeff, I would fear that those fiber wood panels that make up the garage door could catch fire or, at the very least, get scorched black by the heat gun.

Good call on a new door being at least a potential option. These type of wood doors tend to peel prematurely anyway so the OP will be painting again in a couple years. Might be time to bite the bullet and get a new vinyl or metal door that is maintenance free.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.