Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

Painting a garage


My parents have asked me to paint the interior of their two car garage. They also would like to have the textured ceiling repainted because it is peeling and appears to have no primer underneath. I suspect, once I start scraping, that the whole textured ceiling paint will come off. They would also like to pay me for this. My question is how much would be a fair price to charge?

flabotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,819
Default

Painting a garage


$85,000 covers EVERYTHING!

But seriously, there's no way we can answer this question without more details such as size of garage, are you going to move everything out of garage, what type of paint is on it now, etc. A pic would help us give you some advice on how to proceed, but estimating a price is impossible.


Last edited by Gymschu; 05-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
flabotis (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Painting a garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
$85,000 covers EVERYTHING!
Might cover the painting part but you should ask for another $15,000 to deal with taking down the textured ceiling. If they really love you they will not question the price.

Is this a sprayed on popcorn ceiling? If so and if it is peeling loose in places you should think about taking it all down if they will go with the idea. Especially in a garage, once parts start going it becomes a battle to try and patch and repair it. I hate popcorn ceilings that were not done properly with primer underneath and using decent paint. This is 98 percent of them.

It will actually go pretty fast if you get a wide drywall blade under the stuff.

If it is some other sort of sprayed on drywall texture it could be harder to take down or patch. You will have to source what is causing it to fail.

As to what you should charge? Charging relatives is always hard and those really close even harder. I assume they are trying to help you out on a time and materials basis? I guess come up with an hourly rate you all agree fair.

Do get them to use nice paint store, and not box store paint. Even in a garage. You could use the contractor grades of either Benjamin Moore (Super Spec) or Sherwin Williams (Pro Mar), save quite a bit, and still be better off than with box store paint.

Last edited by user1007; 05-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Painting a garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Might cover the painting part but you should ask for another $15,000 to deal with taking down the textured ceiling. If they really love you they will not question the price.

Is this a sprayed on popcorn ceiling? If so and if it is peeling loose in places you should think about taking it all down if they will go with the idea. Especially in a garage, once parts start going it becomes a battle to try and patch and repair it. I hate popcorn ceilings that were not done properly with primer underneath and using decent paint. This is 98 percent of them.

It will actually go pretty fast if you get a wide drywall blade under the stuff.

If it is some other sort of sprayed on drywall texture it could be harder to take down or patch. You will have to source what is causing it to fail.

As to what you should charge? Charging relatives is always hard and those really close even harder. I assume they are trying to help you out on a time and materials basis? I guess come up with an hourly rate you all agree fair.

Do get them to use nice paint store, and not box store paint. Even in a garage. You could use the contractor grades of either Benjamin Moore (Super Spec) or Sherwin Williams (Pro Mar), save quite a bit, and still be better off than with box store paint.
I like your guys' prices. It's 22x24x11. The ceiling is a textured(popcorn) ceiling. Thanks for the info
flabotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,819
Default

Painting a garage


A popcorn ceiling soaks up LOTS OF PAINT. I have done living rooms about the size of your garage ceiling and used EIGHT gallons of ceiling paint........prepare to use lots of material.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Painting a garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
A popcorn ceiling soaks up LOTS OF PAINT. I have done living rooms about the size of your garage ceiling and used EIGHT gallons of ceiling paint........prepare to use lots of material.
It will soak up lots of paint if the surface tension of the roller does not pull it off in sheets/chunks. Popcorn ceilings are the work of the devil. Get rid of it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,727
Default

Painting a garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It will soak up lots of paint if the surface tension of the roller does not pull it off in sheets/chunks. Popcorn ceilings are the work of the devil. Get rid of it.

absolutely!

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garage Insulation DIYguy2000 Building & Construction 2 12-09-2009 07:41 AM
Painting rusting garage door Richo Painting 2 08-10-2008 01:51 AM
Painting a garage door dfoxworthy Painting 6 06-22-2008 10:51 PM
Painting inside of garage door PUNISHER VETTE Painting 10 07-10-2007 11:06 PM
Painting OSB in the garage. timg Painting 2 05-01-2007 10:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.