Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

painting galvanized pipe

I am quoting a paint job that consists of 5000 ft 2" galvinived pipe. Im using a two part primer, then a two part paint. The pipes all have to be hand brushed, with a third of job being done from a lift. Im not sure how to figure the labor on this?

JB Dyess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

painting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Dyess View Post
I am quoting a paint job that consists of 5000 ft 2" galvinived pipe. Im using a two part primer, then a two part paint. The pipes all have to be hand brushed, with a third of job being done from a lift. Im not sure how to figure the labor on this?
By hand-brushing, you mean it can't be sprayed...but can it be rolled? If so, you need to invest in a pipe roller which will cut your app time in half as opposed to brushing.

Does your bid need to include a solvent wipe of the galvanized prior to painting (still necessary on new, or un-weathered, galvanized even if a 2 component product is used)? Or is there any other type of surface prep necessary - such as cleaning any dust, dirt and grime that may have collected on the top of the pipe since it was installed?

The other 2/3s of the job able to be reached from floor level? What type of lift are you using for the other 1/3?

A lot of variables there for you to consider...Obviously, painting pipe can be tedious, at best - A guestimate (all guestimates are based on SWAG theory) might be that you could brush and roll 1 gallon of product every 2 hours, which would be about 600 lineal feet per hour - but obviously, you'd have to make adjustments to that if you're working from multiple platforms.

Is painting the pipe the entire job?

Last edited by ric knows paint; 04-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
ric knows paint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

painting galvanized pipe

I think you will get better help with this on the Contractor site.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

painting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Dyess View Post
How long have you been in business? You should have historical data and time records. You should know how many linear feet can be painted per man hour. Figure in your height variables as that will take longer. Figure out your total man hours and then based on the amount of employees you will have on that job you will know how long it will take (labor). Add up your direct expenses, indirect expenses, labor burden, profit and any sales tax applicable in your state. Keep in mind that some states require painting projects to be taxed and payed to your state, but I'm sure your aware of your state tax laws,federal laws and labor laws and are complicant. Don't forget to add in the cost of any rental equipment, clean up time, set up time, coffe breaks, lunch breaks, prep and any other unforseen events.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

painting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
By hand-brushing, you mean it can't be sprayed...but can it be rolled? If so, you need to invest in a pipe roller which will cut your app time in half as opposed to brushing.

Does your bid need to include a solvent wipe of the galvanized prior to painting (still necessary on new, or un-weathered, galvanized even if a 2 component product is used)? Or is there any other type of surface prep necessary - such as cleaning any dust, dirt and grime that may have collected on the top of the pipe since it was installed?

The other 2/3s of the job able to be reached from floor level? What type of lift are you using for the other 1/3?

A lot of variables there for you to consider...Obviously, painting pipe can be tedious, at best - A guestimate (all guestimates are based on SWAG theory) might be that you could brush and roll 1 gallon of product every 2 hours, which would be about 600 lineal feet per hour - but obviously, you'd have to make adjustments to that if you're working from multiple platforms.

Is painting the pipe the entire job?
I've tried the pipe roller years ago and found that my guys could paint pipe using a brush faster than with a pipe roller. Didn't care for the pipe roller. I think we still have some new ones that where never used, it was a tool we experimented with on a large job where we had to paint pipe and couldn't spray.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

painting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
How long have you been in business? You should have historical data and time records. You should know how many linear feet can be painted per man hour. Figure in your height variables as that will take longer. Figure out your total man hours and then based on the amount of employees you will have on that job you will know how long it will take (labor). Add up your direct expenses, indirect expenses, labor burden, profit and any sales tax applicable in your state. Keep in mind that some states require painting projects to be taxed and payed to your state, but I'm sure your aware of your state tax laws,federal laws and labor laws and are complicant. Don't forget to add in the cost of any rental equipment, clean up time, set up time, coffe breaks, lunch breaks, prep and any other unforseen events.
Do not forget the cost of primer and paint.

And what is a two part primer and and a two part paint?

Last edited by user1007; 04-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

painting galvanized pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Do not forget the cost of primer and paint.

And what is a two part primer and and a two part paint?
I don't know what a two part primer and paint is. I only know of two part epoxies. Two part sounds like overkill. I like to keep it simple with one part.

The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-04-2012)