Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Furniture- What do I seal it with?

I painted a cute little side table for my daughters bedroom. (The colors are from a vera bradley pattern for those that know the colors)

The periwinkle color is the satin finish wall paint used on the walls in her room. The raspberry color is a high gloss finish.

I primed with a spray. I foam brushed the paint on- except for the top that I rolled (also with a small furniture foam roller).

I'm hoping for a furniture grade finish or maybe I should just say I want a high gloss DURABLE finish. I have another project waiting and would love a single coat finish, but I also want it to look and wear well, so if I need to do multiple coats, thats fine too!

All suggestions appreciated!!

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDivaNJ View Post
I painted a cute little side table for my daughters bedroom. (The colors are from a vera bradley pattern for those that know the colors)

The periwinkle color is the satin finish wall paint used on the walls in her room. The raspberry color is a high gloss finish.

I primed with a spray. I foam brushed the paint on- except for the top that I rolled (also with a small furniture foam roller).

I'm hoping for a furniture grade finish or maybe I should just say I want a high gloss DURABLE finish. I have another project waiting and would love a single coat finish, but I also want it to look and wear well, so if I need to do multiple coats, thats fine too!

All suggestions appreciated!!
Hiya Diva,

Nice work on the side table - looks great. As far as a durable, protective coating goes, there are a couple of things you can do - and much should be determined by what this table is going to be exposed to. If this table is simply decorative, and the only function will be to hold a lamp and maybe a few stuffed animals, the finish you already have on there will suffice.

On the other hand, if this table will be subjected to a little more abuse (storing heavier objects, drinking glasses, etc.), you might want to consider applying a couple coats of a clear semi or high gloss acrylic polyurethane. Other type finishes (alkyd poly, shellac, etc.) will probably be too "amber" in color and create a not-so-desirable antiqued effect over the paint colors you've chosen - and unless your daughter is extremely destructive, 2 coats of acrylic poly will provide plenty of protection for her table against the examples given above (of course follow package instructions for surface prep and appropriate dry times).

Good luck - let us know how things turn out.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
Hiya Diva,

Nice work on the side table - looks great. As far as a durable, protective coating goes, there are a couple of things you can do - and much should be determined by what this table is going to be exposed to. If this table is simply decorative, and the only function will be to hold a lamp and maybe a few stuffed animals, the finish you already have on there will suffice.

On the other hand, if this table will be subjected to a little more abuse (storing heavier objects, drinking glasses, etc.), you might want to consider applying a couple coats of a clear semi or high gloss acrylic polyurethane. Other type finishes (alkyd poly, shellac, etc.) will probably be too "amber" in color and create a not-so-desirable antiqued effect over the paint colors you've chosen - and unless your daughter is extremely destructive, 2 coats of acrylic poly will provide plenty of protection for her table against the examples given above (of course follow package instructions for surface prep and appropriate dry times).

Good luck - let us know how things turn out.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for your reply!

Hmmmmm, do you think I can get away with using a spray? ie" Krylon, Valspar, Rustoleum?

My daughter is 24 yrs old..Not destructive, but I predict the top will hold water bottles and snacks a lot! lol (Not that water bottles will be wet!) I also want that finished look and the satin periwinkle paint doesnt give that finish...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDivaNJ View Post
Awesome!! Thanks so much for your reply!

Hmmmmm, do you think I can get away with using a spray? ie" Krylon, Valspar, Rustoleum?

My daughter is 24 yrs old..Not destructive, but I predict the top will hold water bottles and snacks a lot! lol (Not that water bottles will be wet!) I also want that finished look and the satin periwinkle paint doesnt give that finish...
Aerosols will work fine (although you may be limited in sheen varieties), but make sure the clear you decide on is an acrylic (Krylon makes one) - Acrylics are "water-white" clear as opposed to the more amber tones of straight alkyd products...Remember when finishing with aerosol, that several "mist" coat applications will look and perform better than 1 or 2 heavy spray apps.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Aerosols will work fine (although you may be limited in sheen varieties), but make sure the clear you decide on is an acrylic (Krylon makes one) - Acrylics are "water-white" clear as opposed to the more amber tones of straight alkyd products...Remember when finishing with aerosol, that several "mist" coat applications will look and perform better than 1 or 2 heavy spray apps.
Good advice.....

Personally.....I wouldn't do anything. Just about anything that will damage the clear coat will also damage the paint below.....and it's a lot easier to touch up the bare paint vs something with a clear coat on it.

Room rash is a natural thing with kids.....

A couple of options to extend the life....put a nice coaster on the top....(custom table cloth)...or have a piece of glass made for the top....make a pattern out of cardboard...take it down to the glass place....have them cut a piece the same shape and have it tempered....you will be surprised at how cheap it is.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
I have sprayed furniture before....but I go on instinct lol....How many mist type coats would you suggest?

thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Good advice.....

Personally.....I wouldn't do anything. Just about anything that will damage the clear coat will also damage the paint below.....and it's a lot easier to touch up the bare paint vs something with a clear coat on it.

A couple of options to extend the life....put a nice coaster on the top....(custom table cloth)...or have a piece of glass made for the top....make a pattern out of cardboard...take it down to the glass place....have them cut a piece the same shape and have it tempered....you will be surprised at how cheap it is.
Hmmmm, I have 2 local glass shops. I should do that! (Im going to do that!)

I'm still going to spray it. I don't foresee any injuries where I would need to repair the color, lol.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Good advice.....

The "kid" is 24

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
The "kid" is 24
bahaha....I never heard the phrase "room rash"...

It wasn't significant to me, I read right by it!!