Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Front Door

My front door has a small half-moon shaped beveled glass at the top. I painted the door black, but I can't decide if I want the trim around the beveled glass painted black too or white to match the trim on the rest of the house. I'm afraid that if I paint the trim around the beveled glass black, that the trim won't be seen and that would take away from the look of the beveled glass. Any suggestions on what would look better?

Barry's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Front Door

Well it is just paint and a tiny project. You could always try one coat of the black (or white for that matter), squint at it, and get an idea of how well you like it. If it is a go, do the second coat. If you don't like it just prime over it and paint it white if you tried the black? The small amount of white trim in a solid black door almost sounds stark to me? It might actually detract from the bevel glass. It is hard to envision without seeing it.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Front Door

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I could (and should) try painting it with one coat of black just to see how it looks. If I don't like it, I'll just repaint it white! And you're right, it is a minor project. But I've been known before to make mountains out of molehills! I've attached a couple pictures of the front of the house. The picture that best shows the front door was taken before any painting was done on the front porch. The other picture doesn't show the front door as well, but it was taken after the first coat of exterior painting was done. We now have black shutters too, but I haven't taken any pictures of them yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Front Door-cimg1263.jpg  
Attached Images

Barry's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Painting Front Door

Sometimes if that plastic is painted a dark color the plastic heats up and warps.
waynech is offline   Reply With Quote