Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Painting foundations

i could use a little help before I go estimate a foundation. I have only painted a few in my lifetime.

What do you use to patch a foundation? In the past i used this stuff from home depot, forget what its called.. and then i used 2 coats of an exterior latex.

What do you recommend for paint? Benjamin Moore product. Do you prime the foundation or just paint it with 2 coats of exterior latex? I havent seen the foundation yet, but its supposed to be in fair condition and i assume its already painted.

Do you suggest an alkyd?

Any info would be a big help.

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Painting foundations

if it is clean and or has been painted previously, and is not glossy from papa guido's prvious oil gloss paintjob, put on one coat of grey latex egshell exterior paint. Hosing it off lightly ahead of time if it is bare will help absorbtion, help the spread, cool the surface, and clean the wall all in one easy and free step. You do not need the concrete (unless it is damaged) to dry before you paint it.

But what do I know, I have only done that 200 times complaint free.

ting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #3

Painting foundations

are a lot of people asking for their foundations painted grey? I usually see white. no coverage problems with one coat? whats your method of painting where the foundation meets the dirt? always messy.. do you clear out an inch or two of dirt so you can get below soil line?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

Painting foundations

i bought DAP "ready-mixed concrete patch" to patch a small hole and some chipping on the foundation that im painting next monday, weather permitting. Has anyone used this product. It doesnt say how long it takes to dry...just mentions that if you need to apply multiple layers of it if repair is 1 inch thick, wait 2-4 hours for next application..

im trying to do this tiny patch job and paint this foundation in less than one day. Otherwise it will eat into my budget. Hopefully it dries fast!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #5

Painting foundations

in general, any color change means two coats, less shiny means better coverage and although less washability, better filling capabilities. i would use not grey, but concrete colour in specific, white painted foundations tell future buyers that a repair was done to the fooundatio, therefore problems. Don't highlight a foundation... it's just the foundation. Anything premixed dries slow, else it would dry in the container. Next time buy a small (1 gallon) plastic tub of fast dry concrete. It gets hard as a rock in 5 minutes, and is paintable stat at any thickness
Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #6

Painting foundations

where do they sell that? does it mix easily with water? can i mix it up in a paint bucket and use a paint stick? ..is it in the section where quickrete and other heavy building materials are at a home depot/lowes? i bought the pre mixed in the painting section of lowes while i was getting some garden supplies. I still have time to pick up the fast dry concrete mix if i can find it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #7

Painting foundations

in general all of those big bo and hardware stores will have small tubs of fast dry concrete- usually add a cup or so of water per gallon, do not mix the whole tub incase you have to add more crete if you make it too thick- peanut butter consistency is good.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #8

Painting foundations

thanks!