DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting floor molding with existing carpeting

15K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
I preparing a nursery and need to repaint all the molding in the room including the existing floor molding. Are there any tricks to protecting the carpeting while I'm painting? I'd like to wedge something between the molding and carpet but don't know that I'll be able to get it back out without damaging the paint.

Not knowing how the carpeting was installed, I'm not sure if I could peel it back from the molding without ruining my ability to put it back in place.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
We heavily push in two rows of duct tape onto the carpet for a barrier, then lay out heavy paint drops for the remaining area. Watch out for the tack strips vs your fingers.

#5 ·
Easy way to do it, is take a 5n1 and run it between the carpet and the base. This will pull the carpet away from the trim a little bit and give you a chance to remove carpet fibers from the trim, from the last paint job. It also makes the carpet look newly installed. Then take the straight edger pictured above, start in a corner and just move it along without taking it out. If it gets snagged tip it foward slightly and pull it straight out. You won't get paint on the carpet. Wipe it off and continue.

If you are going right to left, don't get paint on the leading(left) edge of the edger, so as you slide it along, paint won't get on the carpet. Depending on how tight the carpet is to the wall, you may choose to tape it down or not. Usually, I just use runners and the edger. No tape.

Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Get a roll of drywall tape and slip it under the base (use a 5 in 1 or putty knife). It's a good width and you don't have paint getting behind it on the carpet as can happen with regular tape run to the base. Take your knife and break the "seal" between the wood and the tape before you remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.