Painting Floor Joists In The Basement On The Cheap. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Painting floor joists in the basement on the cheap.

I'm going to spray the joists and subfloor in my basement shop. I'm going to mask off the insulated ductwork, but everything else is fair game - pipes, wire, whatever.

It's never ever going to be finished - I'm just doing it to brighten it up. I like a bright room, even for a basement workshop, and it really brightens it up.

I want to spend as little as possible on it, but I want it to be technically correct.

Kind of where I'm at now is to shoot it with a coat of Kilz2 ($66) and then a can of the cheap contractor paint called "Speedwall" ($45). I'm not going to worry too much about exact coverage. I more or less plan to start in one corner of the basement with a 5 gal of each and shoot til I run out which puts me into "storage only" area where I don't really need the white.

Does that sound about like the way to go, or can I go lower, or am I already too low on cheapness? I'm thinking I'm not going to need any real durability as far as cleaning or rubbing. I don't really plan on much ever touching it.

I've done it before maybe 15 years ago and I THINK I may have just shot primer and left it, but I'm kind of planning on this being the "rest of my life" house, so I want to do a nice, permanent job, but not go overboard.

Thanks for looking!

Advertisement

khigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,322

Use the stain blocker primer and your cheap paint---I've done that a few times with good success ---

The stain blocker will help keep the pine from bleeding yellow into the top paint.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

For what your doing- forget the paint. Put the $ into a good stain blocking prime and leave it.
I would recommend Zinsser 123 Plus (AKA Smart Prime)
Jmayspaint (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Would the "stainblocking primer only" approach get me down to one coat with no paint on top? I liked the idea of one of my coats being $45. Two coats of primer would start to get expensive.

I see the smartprime online, but not locally yet.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

^^^^^^ as BJ suggests. Unless you think you would ever need to wash/rinse it down or something, and given you don't care about coverage.

Not sure, but if you could get a deal, using something like SW Woodscapes in whatever color you want would work too even though it is an exterior product. It requires no primer. I suspect even on sale it will be more than Zinsser 123+ though.

I have mentioned this before, but if you have Habitat ReStore near? I sorted out the paint section for one once. We used to get more than decent, unopened, 5-ers of primer and paint in from large commercial painters and would sell them for next to nothing. They tended to be off-white but not beige or anything (so could not be returned for credit) but that might work for you? Worth a look if you have one near and it takes paint. We almost stopped taking it, at least from consumers, because they felt nothing about using the place as a toxic waste dump and loaded us up with outdated crap.

Last edited by user1007; 08-10-2013 at 09:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,306

The nice thing about Zinsser 1-2-3 is that it actually has a bit of a sheen to it, alot like paint........so definitely consider Brushjockey's approach.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I concur with the 123 idea. I have used it on ceilings and liked the results. It is a little shiny.

Using primer as a top coat isn't 'technically correct', but it can work... Well.

On a recent rental unit job, I used Kilk2 with some extra white pigment added at the store, for a one coat finish on some smoked up ceilings and it worked great. Had just a touch of sheen, little less than 123.

I also think Sd has a good idea with the solid stain for a one coat job. He mentioned woodscapes, I thought of flood.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-11-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

Don't forget to drop plastic on the floor to protect it.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Does it have to be the 123 plus specifically?

I can't find it locally.

123 is available everywhere.

And yes - in the last week I've dug out every crusty old tarp I've ever owned that's been demoted down to near-trash. I got some Dollar Tree clothesline and hung them up a few at a time and washed them, so I should be set for the floor. Also - while I was at Dollar Tree, they have a whole painting section, including drop cloths. I'm probably good on the floor, but they should be good for draping over the ducts.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

123 is great stuff, but 123 plus ( also know as Smart Prime) is a waterborne alkyd (oil) and so has better stain blocking properties.
If you just use 123, A little knot burn through here and there on basement joist is probably no big deal. If it bothers you spot prime the burns with a rattle can of BIN ( pigmented shellac- great stain sealer) and rehit with your 123.
It might be months or more before the burn through happens.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Frankly I don't even much care what it looks like, It's just to add light. I'm certainly not going to sweat a knothole!

But the general consensus is that even the regular 123 is superior to Kilz2?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

[QUOTE="khigh"!

But the general consensus is that even the regular 123 is superior to Kilz2?[/QUOTE]

I vote yes
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,694

Just a little story. My granddaughter is in college last week she called me because they (her and her roommates) had to paint a room they were moving into. So guess who they called? This room was painted white, really white, and they wanted 2 walls blue, real bright blue. And the walls were a medium knockdown texture. We went to Lowe's and I told them they would probably need 3 or 4 coats to cover the white with the bright blue. They went to the paint dept. and got some Valspar paint (I don't remember the number) it was $10 a gallon, did I mention college students with little money. I went down a couple days later to do touch up and the surprise was on me this stuff had covered very very well. I kind of laughed when they bought it but I guess the last laugh was on me. If I had rentals or flips or just wanted to go cheap I would really further into this stuff. Did I say $10 a gallon?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

[QUOTE=khigh;1228360]Frankly I don't even much care what it looks like, It's just to add light. I'm certainly not going to sweat a knothole!

But the general consensus is that even the regular 123 is superior to Kilz2?[/QUOTE]

absolutely, no doubt abut it, yes, and that's affirmative
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

No comparison between the two. The original Kilz solvent based alkyd primer was "not too bad" but the waterbased is more or less worthless.

I think the price point is about the same between the two?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote