Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting floor..epoxy over epoxy???

Hey guys, we have a concrete floor in an old house..bathroom, that was painted with an epoxy. We have a quart that they used, its called Homax Tub and Tile brush on refinishing kit..gloss. Want to repaint floor. Can we repaint that with another epoxy and if so what do you have to do to the floor to prep it so the next paint sticks. We have Lowes and Menards here so any suggestions? Thanks.

roeldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Wow, IMO, you are going to have to remove the stuff they put on there first. It certainly was not intended for a floor.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

Sounds like a rather weird and expensive approach to painting a basement floor. But then, your post also mentions you found a quart. How big is this floor?

Is it failing or just looking worn? If it is peeling and chipping I agree with Chris and you will be best to grind it off. You may be best to get rid of it anyhow since I doubt it was ever intended to adhere to concrete. Then again, if it is working for whatever reason maybe the path of least resistance if only a quart is called for is to find and use a similar product.

That said, Ben Moore's porch and floor paints are great products. The water based leaves a nice semi-gloss/satin finish and is epoxy reinforced. It may be suited to painting over what you have if you just need a color change or to spruce it up. You might call your Ben Moore dealer or go online and contact customer support for an answer. I am sure Sherwin Williams and other real paint stores have comparable products.

I cannot believe I am about to type this, but what about a piece of nice, quality, vinyl sheet flooring you would cut and lay---not glue---in place if you do not want to have to grind the epoxy off (assuming you have to do so). Again, I assume you have fairly low square footage to deal with? You might find a remnant for next to nothing.

Large outdoor type material area rug you could drag out and hose off when dirty? They have some really nice ones in all kinds of colors, textures, and patterns now.

I would order online before buying from a box store. If you do, and especially if you go with an epoxy product, do make sure the material has not expired. The places are not so great about rotating inventory and I have had to come along and deal with non-curing resins too many times.

Last edited by user1007; 06-20-2013 at 07:24 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote