Painting For The First Time - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting for the First Time

My wife and I just bought our first house and are painting for the first time. Before we start proceeding more wanted to make sure we were doing everything correctly.

The walls appear to be currently in a glossy state. I therefore went and got a pole sander with 120 grit sandpaper. Went over the walls one time with the paper. The paint is still there but if I touch the walls right now a dust comes on my hand (we will wash the dust off before proceeding). Is going over 1-2x with sandpaper enough work on gloss?

I bought a Kilz 2 Water based latex primer to apply next. We were going to paint with a Behr Premium paint (paint is currently a pinkish and we are making it a light blue). Unfortunately, I don't know if the previous paint was oil or latex based.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Schmurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

A painter will be along shortly------

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
DIY staff

If you haven't purchased the paint yet conside a different brand--That paint is difficult for an experienced painter to apply properly and might cause you some disappointment.

It has a low solids count causing thin coverage.

It is thick and I have trouble cutting with it--won't flow out of the brush--needs flo-trol added to it.

Won't flow out of the roller evenly,leaving an uneven application---

There are other paint companies---Mike---
Gymschu (01-12-2012), housepaintingny (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

I would never use Kilnz for any project. To me it's like trying to prime with milk and about as useless.
I only use Zinzeer products.
Every painter has there favorite brand of paint, but most of us on here seem to agree on the primer to use. One trick to use is have the paint store add a shot of whatever color your going for to the primer. Far more likly to be able to paint the wall with one coat and not have white showing through.
I've not had the problums with Baur paints that your going to be hearing about. Not sure why that is.
Make sure once you have sanded to fix any nail of screw pops, holes from where pictures where hung before, sand out any old paint drips you find and fill with spackle, let dry and sand out before priming. No primer of paint will make flaws go away.
Always paint the ceiling first, only use a flat paint on the ceiling. I strongly suggest to never use flat on walls, to hard to keep clean.
Then paint all the trim, then the walls.
Do not buy cheap roller covers or brushes! They do not hold enough paint, the covers will leave lint, the brushes will leave brush marks.
Learn how to cut in with the sash brush, it will save you money on all that tape, less messy, and you will not keep peeling off the paint you just put on when peeling it off.
The only time I use it is on top of the baseboards when painting the walls above it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

A good paint job is 90% preparation and 10% painting.

Don't use Behr if you can avoid it for the reasons already mentioned. I just recently had my first experience with it (ceiling paint, used it because i got half a 5 gallon bucket for free. It's crap). I actually like flat paint on walls if you don't have kids. It looks much better and it hides flaws dramatically better than eggshell.

Taking the gloss off the paint is enough. You're simply creating a surface that the new paint can adhere too. If you have ANY indication that the previous paint was oil based then IMHO you should prime first. I as well like Zinsser priming products. Make sure you wipe down the wall with a damp cloth to get the dust off before starting to paint.

Paint the ceiling first (duh), then paint the trim next, before the walls. "Cutting in" is the process of edging one are of paint up against another, such as wall to trim or wall to ceiling. It's much easier to cut the walls into the trim than vice versa and the result will be much cleaner as well. If you have a steady hand, try and cut in the walls to the trim and baseboard freehand. There are oodles of how-to videos on YouTube that show you how. After you cut in the walls to the trim, then you roll the walls.

Cutting in the wall to ceiling is a bit more difficult because the surface turns 90 degrees along a straight run, and any variation of the line from one surface to the other will make it look like *&#%, so consider using tape (Joe will disagree with me here lol but if this is your FIRST time painting that's what I would recommend) IF the surface is in good condition. Along the paint edge press it firmly with your fingernail to get a good seal to prevent paint bleed through. Touch up as necessary after you peel the tape.

Expect to need two coats on everything, not including the primer. If you're REALLY lucky you might cover with one coat, but 19 in 20 times you're going to get a superior result with two coats.

I think in this case YouTube is your best friend. There are a ton of very helpful videos there, and a video is worth 10,000 words.

Lastly, get a good quality drop cloth, and use it. You WILL drip paint, you WILL spatter from the roller. The drop cloth is your friend.

I'm being overly verbose on this topic because I'm in the midst of painting the entire inside of our house. I have painting on the brain.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional painter and my advice is worth what you're paying for it

Last edited by Ironlight; 01-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 572

A real painters drop cloth works better then cheap plastic. It stays put better, is reuseable, less likly to track paint on the bottoms of your shoes to another area.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 532

I wouldn't use kiltz either. You will only have to prime any bare spots and repairs. If using a quality paint it will cover in two coats. I would not use Behr either. Go to a Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore dealer.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the help all. Seems most are against my brand choices. Just looked online and I have a Benjamin Moore dealer down the block from work. Was debating checking them out as a result.

I did notice they are drastically more expensive and have several types. I noted the Aura and Regal. Would these types be what I want? I also noticed they have primer included, would I therefore be able to skip my primer step?

Thanks again.
Schmurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
DIY staff

Prime your patches to seal the new work--other wise the patch will 'flash' leaving a dull spot .
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

If you are just doing minor priming over patches you could spot prime them with a premium ben moore paint prior to coating the whole wall.

Skipping primer going over oil is not ideal but you can always do a test patch, let it dry several hours, then try to scratch it off. If its solid then go for it.

Advertisement

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote