Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting fiberglass doors

i have a peachtree fiberglass front enty door that was orininally stained with a minwax "oak" color stain. did a fair job but now 8 years later the stain has faded off. i want to prep and paint the door a red color to match my barn color.
my question is: after i prep the door and side lites with 00 steel wool, clean properly and allow to dry, will a high grade latex enamal paint work on this door? i would like to see the simulated wood grain come through the paint but its not critical.
will i need to cover the paint after drying with a clear coat?
and lastly, do i really need to remove the door off the hinges to get a good coverage? i am not bad with a brush but do want to make this look good from the street and up close.
thanks whoever has a chance to read this!

rcahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #2

I've never heard that painting fiberglass is a problem, so I'd say you can use any latex or alkyd primer over it, and then top coat over that primer with whatever you want, too.

You don't need to apply a clear coat over your paint, but if you want to do that, Minwax makes a product called "Polycrylic". I don't believe it's recommended for exterior use, tho. You could always use a "Spar varnish" over your paint. Spar, or "Marine varnishes" are supposedly used on wood boats, so they should stand up well in an exterior application.

Painting the door when it's horizontal allows you to thin your paint for better self leveling without having to worry that the paint will sag as it dries. If you want to paint it on it's hinges, I'd recommend you use a small roller with a short nap to paint it. That will give you a smoother film than brushing would.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcahow View Post
after i prep the door and side lites with 00 steel wool, clean properly and allow to dry, will a high grade latex enamal paint work on this door?
It should, but I would prime first
Your local paint store will tell you the right primer that they carry for your application
Quote:
will i need to cover the paint after drying with a clear coat?
No
The paint itself is the top coat
Quote:
and lastly, do i really need to remove the door off the hinges to get a good coverage? i am not bad with a brush but do want to make this look good from the street and up close.
No
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote