Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pungoteague, Eastern Shore of Virginia
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painting exterior of old home


I have recently bought an old (built 1846) Eastern Shore of Virginia home with the original cypress siding. The paint is peeling off it and am told that I will never get paint to stick to it. I find that hard to believe.
Having had no experience with this problem, what primer and paint should I use? The paint that is peeling is latex (it bends before cracking).

Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,809
Rewards Points: 1,058
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Unless the boards are made of Silcone, you can get paint to stick. Use a nice oil based primer on the bare wood and you are good to go.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 551
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Before painting, ALL the failing paint needs to come off, and then I would get the siding thoroughly washed with a cleaner meant for that use. (It can be pressure-washed if done very carefully.)

Then, get a long-oil primer on that wood (prepare to use a lot), and you should be in good shape. (A "long oil" primer, such as A-100, would probably be better for this use than a quick-dry primer.)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painting exterior of old home


sand silcone bead and couple coats of bins primer sealer should fix it
altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 996
Rewards Points: 530
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Painting exterior of old home


If the paint is cracking it is probably oil base and if its a pre-1978 home it is lead. Pressure wash it gently using liquid tsp or another cleaner such as krud cutter. Scrape and sand all loose paint off, prime (if it is waterbourne paint on there now, stick with a waterbourne that has a stain blocker in it) SW A100 is a great primer that you can get in waterbourn or oil. I would then caulk with a good paintable acrylic-siliconised caulk. Then apply two coats of a 100% acrylic. I would recommend SW Superpaint. If the mil thickness of the existing paint is thicker than the width of the edge of a dime its recommended that you strip the paint off and start over. Of course you'll have to fix any wood rot before priming, feather sand as needed.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Restored a home of similar vintage and with similar siding. I made the decision to take a power paint shaver to it first to get most layers of paint off, than power scraped, then sanded. The definition of the siding came back.

Primed with Ben Moore alkyd thinned a bit, put on two nice acrylic finish coats?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Quote:
Originally Posted by altima View Post
sand silcone bead and couple coats of bins primer sealer should fix it
BIN is not an exterior primer.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
If the paint is cracking it is probably oil base and if its a pre-1978 home it is lead.
For sure! And you cannot just keep heaping paint on if you are getting peeling all the way down to the cypress! You will be at this eternally.

You need to bite the bullet at some point and just do this right. You will love the look.

Of course the bad news is you will have to abate the lead, at least in the US.

I know this is not the news you want to hear but antique homes do look crappy after about 400 layers of paint and given the vintage of yours you are probably at 500?

If the cypress is the real deal? Well worth restoring. And working with a power scraper (a power shaver isn't so bad) will definitely help with physical fitness. Teeth might rattle a bit though. They work great if you keep the blades sharp. You might also try one of the new infrared strippers. People at the preservation warehouse where we all collected seemed to think they worked well. I have not used one. Members of our place got to check out tools for free by reservation. The place had all kinds of things are annual dues paid for. Saved us tool rental fees. Anyhow we had power scrapers, power shavers, an infrared paint remover, etc. You can rent them all at a good tool place too though.

By the way the house exterior with cypress siding I restored got sold. New idiot owners decided they wanted it better insulated (I did all the exterior walls with foam from the inside when I had walls open and was redoing/upgrading plumbing, electrical and all). Someone told them the house had to be wrapped too. So they ripped the cypress and cedar off, dumpstered it, and put up vinyl. The hysterical preservationists are still having hissy fits! Just made me shake my head and feel rather sad. I did put a lot of work into it. Not my house though. Hope they are happy.

Nothing against a nice vinyl siding job done by pros with top end materials in the right situations by the way. But to tear of perfectly great antique wood, rather expensively refinished? When it still had 100 years or more of life in it? Just to add Tyvek? And siding they think they will never have to do anything with?

Last edited by user1007; 01-12-2010 at 08:15 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,843
Rewards Points: 2,194
Default

Painting exterior of old home


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
For sure! And you cannot just keep heaping paint on if you are getting peeling all the way down to the cypress! You will be at this eternally.

You need to bite the bullet at some point and just do this right. You will love the look.

Of course the bad news is you will have to abate the lead, at least in the US.

I know this is not the news you want to hear but antique homes do look crappy after about 400 layers of paint and given the vintage of yours you are probably at 500?

If the cypress is the real deal? Well worth restoring. And working with a power scraper (a power shaver isn't so bad) will definitely help with physical fitness. Teeth might rattle a bit though. They work great if you keep the blades sharp. You might also try one of the new infrared strippers. People at the preservation warehouse where we all collected seemed to think they worked well. I have not used one. Members of our place got to check out tools for free by reservation. The place had all kinds of things are annual dues paid for. Saved us tool rental fees. Anyhow we had power scrapers, power shavers, an infrared paint remover, etc. You can rent them all at a good tool place too though.

By the way the house exterior with cypress siding I restored got sold. New idiot owners decided they wanted it better insulated (I did all the exterior walls with foam from the inside when I had walls open and was redoing/upgrading plumbing, electrical and all). Someone told them the house had to be wrapped too. So they ripped the cypress and cedar off, dumpstered it, and put up vinyl. The hysterical preservationists are still having hissy fits! Just made me shake my head and feel rather sad. I did put a lot of work into it. Not my house though. Hope they are happy.

Nothing against a nice vinyl siding job done by pros with top end materials in the right situations by the way. But to tear of perfectly great antique wood, rather expensively refinished? When it still had 100 years or more of life in it? Just to add Tyvek? And siding they think they will never have to do anything with?

Just plain idiots

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying home, have Home Depot gift cards, which projects stretch HD$ jmuamy General DIY Discussions 12 02-22-2009 10:57 AM
Sweating windows big daddy-o General DIY Discussions 15 01-06-2008 03:41 PM
Pay GC to construct home and finish it myself? L O N G . . . Badfish740 Off Topic 9 07-27-2007 09:44 AM
A facelift for your home Grumpy Remodeling 0 07-07-2004 08:43 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.