Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Exterior of House - Hardboard siding

Hubs and I live in a ranch that was built in 1960. My parents bought the place in 1986 and we bought it from them in 2005. The exterior is hardboard siding with the exception of an area that is painted brick.

We just had the roof replaced a few weeks ago and are now prepping the exterior to be painted. We've replaced the rotting/damaged boards, filled and sanded other areas in the siding that needed repairs, and I've taken out all the old caulking around the doors, windows, and seams that was cracking and recaulked them all. Just a few questions if anyone could help.

There are places where the paint is peeling (expecially in corners and where the siding meets)...do I need to scrape all of it or will a pressure washer do the job? We plan on pressure washing the entire house before painting. If pressure washing alone isn't sufficient, what do you recommend? I'm afraid of using a wire brush as it might damage the panels.

The house was painted 12 years ago with Box Store Brand paint (Behr I believe...gasp!!). We want to go with a quality paint this time around...do we need to prime the entire house before repainting, or can we paint right over what we have now?

Hubs plans to rent a sprayer because that's a lot of area to roll. I've seen many posts about "backrolling" but I have no idea what that means. I planned on cutting in around the windows and doors with a small roller or brush. We are also going to spray the shutters and railings.

Anything else we should be doing?

Thanks!

Last edited by kimberland30; 05-15-2013 at 10:49 AM.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

By the time you mask all the windows and anything else you don't want to get paint it might take longer than a brush and roller. I see windows, gutters, plants, a fence, a storm door, light just from your pic that will all need to be taped up. Don't forget the time to set up and clean the sprayer.

A pressure washer might reveal some areas you thought were sound but were not and is good at getting the large loose pieces but it rarely gets the peeling areas to where you are ready to paint. People often make the mistake of getting in to close trying to chip away old peeling paint and end up damaging the wood. You also may not even realize you damaged some areas until after it has dried. You really need to go after the loose paint with a scraper and then every minute you can spend sanding the areas, even by hand, is well worth it. You only need to prime the areas that you scraped down to bare wood.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-15-2013), kimberland30 (05-15-2013), user1007 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You need to get the peeling paint off and hand or power scraping it will work. Powerwashing may but I personally think those things are too often used inappropriately and flamboyantly. I expect to see limping dogs at times because somebody powerwashed at 3200psi rather than washed fido. If you use one, use only the amount of pressure you need and take care not to get water up under the siding or you will begin a series of nightmares you do not need. Consider whether one of those car wash brush setups might not work as well or better. Or a hand brush or sponge as you move along scraping.

You look to have a lot of shutters, windows, plants to cover, etc. that you are going to have to mask off before you spray. The spray will find its way to anything nearby that is not masked.

I think you will find painting this with a quality thick nap roller cover and brush will go as fast for you as spraying. And, do not underestimate the learning curve if your husband has not used a sprayer before. The fact you do not know about backrolling or brushing suggests he has not which is fine and I am not putting you down.

With backrolling or back brusing you chase after the spray pattern with a roller or brush to make sure you even it out, catch any drips or sags, and reach to the trim, etc. Again, if you are going to do this anyhow? Why not just roll in the first place. Use something like a 1" or even 1.5" nap roller on the brick and you will fly through painting it.

As for whether to prime the whole thing or just new material and bare or repaired spots? It really depends on what the remaining paint looks like. You are not going to fix any adhesion problems it has from the top down but if it is chalky or showing signs of surface failure you would be wise to lay down a nice primer over all before you paint your finish coats so they have a nice underlay to attach to.

You mention a poor performing box store product but you got 12 years out of whatever it was? Granted the home is white so reflected a lot of heat and UV rays but 12 years is not bad for an exterior product of marginal quality. I would still use good quality paint store paint that fits within your budget though.

Last edited by user1007; 05-15-2013 at 12:22 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Thank you so much!!

Now that you mention it, there is an awful lot of stuff to be taped up out front, maybe we can roll the front and spray the sides/back of the house? The back doesn't have near as many things that need to be protected except windows and doors, and there are long and tall spans of siding on the rest of the house. Hubs works most Saturdays so we are trying to get as much done in the limited time we have when he has a day off. I'm not against rolling/brushing the entire house though. That's exactly what my dad and I did when we painted years ago. A sprayer might be helpful/quicker for the louvered shutters and the porch pickets, but then again I painted those with a brush/roller the last time too.

Guess we'll have to see what the pressure washer gets off. We definitely don't want to create more damage trying to go the easy route, I just wasn't sure what to expect from a pressure washer vs. doing it by hand. The main painted parts seem to be holding up just fine, it's mostly in the corners and around the windows/trim where the paint is peeling/chipping pretty badly. It probably doesn't help that there must be at least half a dozen layers of paint on this house..I counted five different colors when I was scraping/recaulking and that didn't even go to the bare wood.

Hubs doesn't have a whole lot of experience with sprayers, just when we did the primer on the ceiling and walls of our plaster walls. We didn't really care much about evenness then and the spray was so light (we did 2 coats) that we didn't see any issue with it. We rolled the rooms and that might have covered up any defects from the sprayer. Again, he just thought it would be easier to spray the exterior because of the area that needs to be covered that doesn't have a lot of stuff around it.

The only reason I mentioned poor performance from a box store paint is because of the corners and trim around the windows that is peeling or chipping. Not all the areas with problems are in direct sunlight, we have the same issues under the porch as we do in the high sun areas. I was complaining about it to DH and he said that if there was a better quality paint on the house, we wouldn't have that problem. To be honest, I get mostly Behr or Kilz paint for everything because I personally haven't had an issue with it. He is more of a 'brand name' person and has been persuading me to go with either SW or BM. I don't mind spending the extra $$ if it will save us from having our house look like crap in 5 years.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #5

Here are some other photos of the house to give you a better idea of what we are working with.

I apologize for our hot mess of a patio right now. We've been painting rooms in the house and everything kinda ended up out here.

Last edited by kimberland30; 05-15-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Ashamed of patio! :)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

Are you sure it's Hardiboard they are a fiber cement board and there really shouldn't be any rot or places to repair. And really, tell your husband there are some really good videos on youtube about spraying watch them. Go to Sherwin Williams get a hand masker 3000 a couple rolls of different sized plastic for it. It takes about 10 minutes to mask a door or window. Get a box of painters plastic (really thin) drape it over the plants and shrubs, remove the shutters since your going to paint them anyhow and spray away. And fas for cleaning the sprayer put the pick-up tube in a bucket of water and hold the trigger down until the water runs clear, shooting it into a empty bucket. The only thing is put your car away and tell your neighbor to do the same in case of overspray. Tell your hubs to get some big pieces of cardboard and practice a little so he knows what to expect.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Here are a couple of pics of the corners and around a window where the paint is peeling/cracking. I've already scraped and removed all the caulk around the front door and front windows, where the brick meets the siding, and where the siding meets the trim. All that is left are the other corners of the house and the other windows. This is what I was hoping the pressure washer would do for me.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Are you sure it's Hardiboard they are a fiber cement board and there really shouldn't be any rot or places to repair. And really, tell your husband there are some really good videos on youtube about spraying watch them. Go to Sherwin Williams get a hand masker 3000 a couple rolls of different sized plastic for it. It takes about 10 minutes to mask a door or window. Get a box of painters plastic (really thin) drape it over the plants and shrubs, remove the shutters since your going to paint them anyhow and spray away. And fas for cleaning the sprayer put the pick-up tube in a bucket of water and hold the trigger down until the water runs clear, shooting it into a empty bucket. The only thing is put your car away and tell your neighbor to do the same in case of overspray. Tell your hubs to get some big pieces of cardboard and practice a little so he knows what to expect.
They are NOT Hardiboard. That is what we'd like to replace it with in the future. We would have done it this year but we just got a new roof and need to get the AC/ducts replaced later in the year. The panels we have now are hardboard siding - at least that's what Lowes calls it. It's basically particle board siding that is primed and ready for paint.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimberland30 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #9

Looks a lot like masonite siding which took its' run at popularity in the 60's and early 70's. It can be great siding but its' weakness is when it begins to peel. If you don't get to it right away, it tends to get wet and flake off, especially on the underside.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

All those places it is cracked and peeling in the pics is because of a piss poor caulking job. Dig it all out and do it right, prime and paint.
BTW, I could brush that whole house in 3 or 4 days, I see no need at all for spraying.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Looks a lot like masonite siding which took its' run at popularity in the 60's and early 70's. It can be great siding but its' weakness is when it begins to peel. If you don't get to it right away, it tends to get wet and flake off, especially on the underside.
Yeah, we've experienced that a lot. We haven't been taking as great care of the exterior as we could have (obviously) but this is the year we're making an effort to not be the crappiest house on the block. If we'd paid more attention and fixed a spot when it happened rather than letting it sit, we probably wouldn't have had to replace as many boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
All those places it is cracked and peeling in the pics is because of a piss poor caulking job. Dig it all out and do it right, prime and paint.

BTW, I could brush that whole house in 3 or 4 days, I see no need at all for spraying.
Are you available for hire? We're only about 4 hours away.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

Another question - there are some areas at the bottom of the boards that will need to be repaired. The areas aren't enough to justify replacing the whole board. How do I patch those areas? Can I use a drywall repair kit (mesh, spackle, sandpaper) for the repair and prime it after sanding?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #13

After seeing all the added pics I would get a 7" roller setup. Roller in one hand, 4" brush in the other for backbrushing and go at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
Yeah, we've experienced that a lot. We haven't been taking as great care of the exterior as we could have (obviously) but this is the year we're making an effort to not be the crappiest house on the block. If we'd paid more attention and fixed a spot when it happened rather than letting it sit, we probably wouldn't have had to replace as many boards.

Are you available for hire? We're only about 4 hours away.

You pay my travel time and hotel, sure
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You pay my travel time and hotel, sure

Got an oscillating multi-function tool today at the local tool warehouse, it might not be the best brand but it was only $15 on sale and saved me a bunch of time gouging out the old caulk. Only got 2 windows and the back door done before the weather decided to curse me...now we have to wait for the rain to stop. Hubs was able to pressure wash one side of the house. The prep work is going to take FOREVER but we might as well do it right. Also talked him into rolling the house instead of spraying it so point one for me!