Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Painting the exterior of a house

how many gallons to paint the exterior of a 2000 ft home using 2 coats of paint plus number of gallons for the trim?
rcoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoope1 View Post
how many gallons to paint the exterior of a 2000 ft home using 2 coats of paint plus number of gallons for the trim?
Think for a second how unanswerable this question is.

Stucco house? With a ornate porch and handrails and ballasters?

C'mon people.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Brushjockey, my thoughts exactly! The answer could be anywhere from 6 to 30 gallons depending on substrate, how paint is applied, drying conditions, condition of previous paint job, the stock market, Santa Claus and the Easter bunny. We would love to help you out here.......pics would be a great help along with about 30 more details.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoope1 View Post
P.S. If you are doing this as a DIY project you may want to simply buy 2 or 3 gallons to see how much of the surface they cover in 2 coats. Then you will have a decent idea of how much more paint you will need to complete the job.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (06-01-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #5

I painted over my 12 inch Haida-Skril siding 6 years ago here south of Green Bay. I went over Mautz solid stain which lasted like 3 years with a oil primer from Home Dumpo and has some bleed through which I hosed off. I went over primer with 1 coat of Duration exterior satin paint after addressing all the thick knarly cracks with Gorilla glue(sand them down with a lava rock after it bubbles up a day later). I walk around my home every year since and marvel how perfect it looks. I am replacing one 6 foot board today, first thing I have done in 6 years, as it has gotten spongy but I have been so happy not to have to even think about painting my home as I get older I could pee my pants.

I looked at the 4 bucks a linear foot for this siding out of British Columbia and saved so much money using Gorilla glue which makes the board tough and strong as new compared to crappy old caulk to fill the cracks which the homeowner before me used. Use nothing else............. DURATION.
warminwisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

Oops sorry wrong thread. I have a 2800 sq foot trilevel with a buch of glass, I used 12 gallons which I thought was unbelievable.
warminwisco is offline   Reply With Quote