Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Painting Exterior Door

I think I know the answer, but here goes anyway. Wife wants to paint exterior door (white fiberglass) so we clean door and she buys some VALSPAR paint (mahogany color) and goes at it, I suggested a foam brush but she prefers a bristle brush and three coats later we have a door with brush marks. The only way I can think of to remove the brush marks is to sand (what grit) and repaint with a foam brush. What are your thoughts?

vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

Painting Exterior Door

A foam brush will not work, they are for stain and materials that are very thin like water.

The trick is to make all of your brush strokes consistent. or you can spray the door.

Latex , especially fresh latex, does not like to sand smooth. it will ball up on you and it's a big pain in the butt. I would use 220 grit sandpaper and take your time sanding. if you sand very fast in one spot it will get hot and ball up.

Remember when painting finish work like a door - use long smooth strokes.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Painting Exterior Door

I agree with NAV

Don't sand in one spot as it will heat the paint up and it will roll or peel off. 3M make a green sandpaper that resist heat, it actually works really well for sanding latex coatings, give that a try. Another product that I don't have 1st hand experience with is a liquid material that is sprayed on and hardens the paint making it sand like an oil... not sure of the name but saw it at Sherwin Williams. I'm a Painter her in Portland Oregon where we spray allot, verses hand painting. We always spray doors and any surface that a brush free look is the goal. If you are going to brush I would suggest adding flotrol to the paint to slow the dry time down allowing the paint to level out. Or you could use a slow dry brushing oil. Of course then you create new issues when it comes time to hang the door or shut it. Make sure you remove the weather striping for a couple of weeks so that it does not stick and damage the new coating. If sanding does not work then you will have to strip it using a product like Jasco paint remover. The good news is freshly painted latex comes off very easily with Jasco.

Good luck, hope this helps!

www.PearlPainters.com
Pearl Painters Portland Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV View Post
A foam brush will not work, they are for stain and materials that are very thin like water.

The trick is to make all of your brush strokes consistent. or you can spray the door.

Latex , especially fresh latex, does not like to sand smooth. it will ball up on you and it's a big pain in the butt. I would use 220 grit sandpaper and take your time sanding. if you sand very fast in one spot it will get hot and ball up.

Remember when painting finish work like a door - use long smooth strokes.
Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote