DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

painting exterior door

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I need to paint my front door. It’s only three years old, but it gets several hours per day of hot, direct sunlight. I suppose that is the main reason the finish has worn off. But I’m not sure of the best procedure for painting.

The door looks like it really is wood that has been varnished. But now that it’s outer coating is wearing off, I can tell it’s not really wood. I’m not sure what kind of material I’ll be painting on, but it feels like hard plastic. Somehow it was painted in a way that made it look like wood. (The door itself feels way to light to be solid wood anyway.)

Now I’d like to repaint the door. I assume it’s difficult to recreate its original wood-grain look. So I am at least considering painting it a solid color to accord with the house trim. Is this the best procedure?

(1) Sand the old finish off the door. (But with what type of sandpaper?)

(2) Apply primer to door. (But what type of primer, and is it really necessary?)

(3) Apply exterior type of paint to door with paintbrush. (But is it impractical to get a smooth, level look by using a paintbrush? Is spray painting better? What about the other side, which would need interior paint: will the look and color match?)

(4) Sealant, varnish or other topcoat required?

Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are going to paint a solid color than you are on the right track. Sand down the door and clean with TSP or similar cleaning solution. Let dry and prime with a quality exterior primer. Zinsser 1-2-3 has always been a group favorite. Topcoat with a quality exterior latex paint like Ben Moore's Ironclad or Impervex or any other high quality brand. Be sure to paint all six sides. No other topcoat is necessary. As far as being smooth, better quality paints will level off to a beautiful finish and I would not suggest spraying unless you are very comfortable doing so. Good luck!

#5 ·
I would be very careful about sanding that fiberglas door. Once you've taken off the faux woodgrain embossing it is gone forever. I think you could scrub it with a scrub brush and TSP, rinse well and then paint with no issues. No need to do door edges since no wood is involved. Start early so it has time to dry so the weatherstripping doesn't stick to it when you close the door.

#6 ·
You can easily fix that door by Sanding the flaking gel stain that was applied to the door, using a 100 grit sanding block,
Move the door to a shaded area, sand off the flaking, peeling finish, Priming the door is unnecessary at this point, as the sanding has provided sufficient tooth to the surface. apply two coats of a high quality exterior house paint, first brushing in the groves of the panels, then rolling the field with a 3/8th inch nap roller cover.. back brushing is highly recommended for a satisfactory finish. Door sheens are normally satin,

#8 ·
I think I'll sand the door since I'm not worried about maintaining the original faux woodgrain. A solid color will look good if I can get the finish nice and smooth. I suppose back brushing is essential for that?

Thanks everyone.
Yes,with a quality brush which means one NOT from the big box stores. The name brand ones( Purdy, etc.) there are cheap knock -offs of the real thing.

#11 ·
Purdy Brushes

I am certain that if you purchase a purdy Brush and it comes in the traditional yellow jacket it is a genuine Purdy brush reguardless of who carries the line. Purdy does not sell seconds or blems, what you find at HD is the same brush you find in a paint store.

#12 ·
I am certain that if you purchase a purdy Brush and it comes in the traditional yellow jacket it is a genuine Purdy brush reguardless of who carries the line. Purdy does not sell seconds or blems, what you find at HD is the same brush you find in a paint store.
Wrong. HD sells "despeced" Purdy brushes, just like Lowes sells "despeced" Wooster brushes. They are made to a lesser quality specification. I don't think you can even find Lowe's Woosters anywhere but Lowes. I've had several painters tell me they bought Purdy at HD before and now they know why the price was so low. They only buy them at HD once.

#13 ·
The Information you have regarding purdy Brushes is incorrect. as per my phone call to Sherwin Williams.
Purdy Is owned by Sherwin Williams. The same manufacturers guarantee is in place on the brushes sold at the paint stores is in place at the Larger Hardware stores... they are in fact, the same brushes. they come from the same warhouse. case lots are mixed, matched and shuffled to fill orders...

#17 ·
Oh I get it, , Brush strokes on wood grained fiberglass would only be visible if you are in the southern hemisphere! how short sighted of we simpletons

how I love the painting section of this site, everyone is an expert here!
yes, that includes me.

please continue to beat this thread until everyone concedes.

#18 · (Edited)
Is there any consensus about whether it matters to sand the door, or just clean it with TSP? It seems so much easier to just clean it with TSP and paint, rather than sand it.

And can anyone recommend a specific paint that can stand up to the several hours of direct sunlight on the outside, yet can also be used on the inside. I noticed that Behr makes an interior/exterior paint, but I don't know if it's any good.

#19 ·
Is there any consensus about whether it matters to sand the door, or just clean it with TSP? It seems so much easier to just clean it with TSP and paint, rather than sand it.

And can anyone recommend a specific paint that can stand up to the several hours of direct sunlight on the outside, yet can also be used on the inside. I noticed that Behr makes an interior/exterior paint, but I don't know if it's any good.

There is no such animal:no:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.