Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Exterior Door

We need to paint our new bare wood (Paint grade maple) exterior doors and I have a few questions that I need help with. We are planning on using the Benjamin Moore Grand Entrance paint. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm planning on spraying it on with the airless but noticed it only comes in Quarts. I'm afraid the paint will fill up in the airless spray hose and the compressor will keep trying to pump the stuff through then run dry quickly. Should this be a concern? My father mentioned using a HVLP gun instead since all the paint is kept in the hopper near the tip. Would an HVLP gun produce great results?

Also, what is a recommended primer for bare wood on exterior doors? Benjamin Moore has a few versions of exterior wood primers in addition to their multi-purpose primer.

1. Fresh Start Exterior Wood
  2. Moorwhite Exterior Wood Primer
  3. Enamel Underbody Primer

Thanks in advance

Kaveman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Painting Exterior Door

Spraying produces a beautiful finish. You have to remember that material is always cheaper than labor, that is if you place a dollar amount on your time.

Some things to consider with an airless...the tip size should be no more than a 10/11- 4. An airless tip will cost you around $20-$35. You’re right about the quart. It will take the better part of a quart to fill the line, so a gallon will almost always be necessary.

Depending on the quality of the unit, an HVLP unit will provide a beautiful finish as well, providing you reduce the material just right. You would still need more than a quart. One coat will not offer the finish you are looking for.

Both have their pros and cons. If I had my choice I would probably go with the HVLP if you already have one. The set up and clean up is substantially less than the airless, not to mention more forgiving.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

Painting Exterior Door

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work & lots of paint to do one door. A brush and a whizz roller will be about as fast and won't take nearly as much setup/teardown/cleanup time as a sprayer. A quart of wood primer and two coats of finish will do the trick. I understand wanting to spray and "be done with it", but you really can achieve an "almost spray-like" finish with the tried and tested old tools of the paint trade. Just my two cents.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-01-2014), VAProPainter (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Painting Exterior Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Seems like a lot of unnecessary work & lots of paint to do one door. A brush and a whizz roller will be about as fast and won't take nearly as much setup/teardown/cleanup time as a sprayer. A quart of wood primer and two coats of finish will do the trick. I understand wanting to spray and "be done with it", but you really can achieve an "almost spray-like" finish with the tried and tested old tools of the paint trade. Just my two cents.
Does the finish come out just as smooth as it would be if sprayed?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Painting Exterior Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Spraying produces a beautiful finish. You have to remember that material is always cheaper than labor, that is if you place a dollar amount on your time.

Some things to consider with an airless...the tip size should be no more than a 10/11- 4. An airless tip will cost you around $20-$35. Youíre right about the quart. It will take the better part of a quart to fill the line, so a gallon will almost always be necessary.

Depending on the quality of the unit, an HVLP unit will provide a beautiful finish as well, providing you reduce the material just right. You would still need more than a quart. One coat will not offer the finish you are looking for.

Both have their pros and cons. If I had my choice I would probably go with the HVLP if you already have one. The set up and clean up is substantially less than the airless, not to mention more forgiving.
We have a 311 tip which we used for the ceiling, so I'm assuming that should work if we end up using the airless. My father does have an HVLP if I'm not mistaken or he plans on borrowing one from his friend. The BM Grand Entrance paint only comes in Qt size and they say that's enough for a door. I'd hate to buy 3 qts at $50/qt just to keep feeding the line then store it for all eternity.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Painting Exterior Door

It would be much more efficient to brush and roll the door. Less mess and simpler cleanup.
Will22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Painting Exterior Door

If you have a short line (20-25 or less) two quarts would be enough.

The Grand Entrance is similar to Advance in its leveling properties. As Gym said you could get an "almost sprayed like" finish with hand application ....almost.
If you have to use a 50' line keep in mind that there is enough paint in the line to spray at least one side of the door. You can push that paint out with water, just have to be careful and stop spraying before you get to the water.

HVLP would use less material, but you need a pretty good one to spray un thinned paint.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 04-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Painting Exterior Door

I would not set up my sprayer for a qt. as Jmay said you can use water to push the paint thru.. It is my understanding for HVLP to shoot unthinned latex you need at least a 3 stage unit these get a little expensive. To use a cheaper one that requires a lot of thinning can effect the finish of the new paints. In my opinion at $50 a qt I would think about a different paint. That puts it in the range as Fine Paints of Europe ($130 a gallon)
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Painting Exterior Door

With experience, yes, you can make doors look like they've been sprayed while using a roller. It's amazing what a veteran professional can do with a mohair roller cover on a whizz frame. Will it be as seamless as a sprayed on finish? No, but the time and money saved is more than worth the effort to go "old school." Again, just basing this on doing ONE door. If you have 12 doors, well, it would be different.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
handpaintedbysteve.com

Painting Exterior Door

Hey Kaveman,

You don't need a sprayer, wiz roller or anything else. For $50 a quart it should jump out of the can and apply itself. NO paint is worth that amount of money unless it were automotive. BM is way out of line with that price. Save your money. The higher the price is not always the best product.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #11

Painting Exterior Door

Quote:
Hey Kaveman,

You don't need a sprayer, wiz roller or anything else. For $50 a quart it should jump out of the can and apply itself. NO paint is worth that amount of money unless it were automotive. BM is way out of line with that price. Save your money. The higher the price is not always the best product.
What paint would you recommend?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
handpaintedbysteve.com

Painting Exterior Door

To be honest with you Kaveman, you would be better off asking one of the other experts here that question. I’ve not been full time active in my trade for some time now. What I do is more specialized.

Three and half years ago I refilled a prescription...it was $46.33, today three and half years later the cost has risen to $495. Is that inflation or is it gouging? Three and half years ago I paid $20 for a quart of Sherwin Williams exterior enamel...today it may be $25. That’s inflation, not gouging.

I sent a friend to the store to get a gallon of Zinssers 123 primer that I knew was around $32/$33 a gallon, the kid at the store not knowing who my friend was told him the retail price for that product was over $70 a gallon.

It’s an insult to the consumer when the manufactures even suggest that a quart of paint should cost $50. If the unknowing consumer goes ahead and pays those gouging prices, they will continue to gouge as many of them as they can.

Look into Pittsburgh products or even Pratt and Lambert ( a subsidiary of SW). BM would have to go back to school to compete with their paints...IMO.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Painting Contractor

Painting Exterior Door

I agree with Gym, no way would I set up a sprayer for 1 door. I would use Fresh start Alkyd primer, and 2 coats of Aura Exterior. Brush the recessed areas and use whizz 4" orange cover on flats.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Painting Exterior Door

Quote:
To be honest with you Kaveman, you would be better off asking one of the other experts here that question. Iíve not been full time active in my trade for some time now. What I do is more specialized.

Three and half years ago I refilled a prescription...it was $46.33, today three and half years later the cost has risen to $495. Is that inflation or is it gouging? Three and half years ago I paid $20 for a quart of Sherwin Williams exterior enamel...today it may be $25. Thatís inflation, not gouging.

I sent a friend to the store to get a gallon of Zinssers 123 primer that I knew was around $32/$33 a gallon, the kid at the store not knowing who my friend was told him the retail price for that product was over $70 a gallon.

Itís an insult to the consumer when the manufactures even suggest that a quart of paint should cost $50. If the unknowing consumer goes ahead and pays those gouging prices, they will continue to gouge as many of them as they can.

Look into Pittsburgh products or even Pratt and Lambert ( a subsidiary of SW). BM would have to go back to school to compete with their paints...IMO.

You should not be paying any more than $22 a gal for this anywhere in the country
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #15

Painting Exterior Door

WOW I just bought a gallon of 123 $19. MY suggestion might be Advance over the Aura for the front door.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote