Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting existing room - what paint to use? and steps to prepare?

So we just recently got a home and are expecting our first kid in June. we wanted to paint a nursery.

from the looks of it, the wall is textured and the existing paint is white with a little gloss to it.

do the walls need to be prepped in some way?

any suggestions on paint brushes/rollers?

as for paint, we were on a budget so around 30-40/gallon would be what we wanted to spend. I was originally going to get behr premium plus, but from reading all the "good things" said about it on this forum, it looks like that would not be a good choice. I noticed someone mentioned sherwin williams promar 200, would that be a good choice? As this is for a nursery is the paint good for babies?

sorry for all the questions, as this is my first time, i kind of want to do this the right way.

any help is greatly appreciated!

wakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

Hello all,

So i bought some sherwin williams harmony (eggshell) paint this weekend. and still need some tools to paint. I've been looking up the tools suggested on this forum.

My list of tools to buy:
1" & 2.5" purdy angle brush
Wooster Roller
1/2" nap cover purdy - is that golden one ok? or do is the white dove that much better?
5gallon bucket to clean supplies
paint tray & liners
3m blue tape.

Anything else I would need?

some of the walls have marks from furniture, but the paint isn't rubbed/scratched. marks are dark and it looks like its from black plastic or something. how would you suggest cleaning this? just a sponge and some soapy water?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

I'm a homeowner hack, but I'll chime in with what I feel is good advice. Feel free to "factcheck" me.

From your first post. As you've come to find, $30-40gl will buy a very high quality paint. I've never tried Harmony. The odor of paint has never been too much of a concern for me. I always buy Superpaint, but have also used Duration, and recently purchased (a still unopened) gallon of Cashmere. I have also used Classic 99 which is SW economy retail paint. As long as Harmony is at least as good a Classic 99, and eases any VOC concerns you may have, you should be plenty happy with it.

As far as tools are concerened, I bought my first home and started a family about 5 years ago. Our third is also due in June
Take it from me, the nursery will not be your last painting project. Buy the highest quality tools your budget will allow....and take care of them. Cheap tools are a terrible investment...in the long run. It appears you already know this, but please don't change your mind When I first bought my home, I bought 3-4 $2.99 roller frames, economy roller covers, and no-name brushes. I truly butchered up my paint job with those tools and they either became unserviceable during the project, or rotted/rusted while in storage.
I recently started a new round of painting projects. This time I bought decent gear and high end paint. The results are 1000% better.
the only small items I'd add to your list are:
-Small can for cut-in paint.
-Paint can opener
-Razor knife
-Step stool or small ladder. I actually have 6ft ladder that is light enough for my wife to carry with ease, but can also support my lumps of flab. (small) Ladders are actually pretty reasonably priced and is a tool every home owner should own.
-TSP Cleaner. Excellent stuff for cleaning the walls prior to paint, and might degloss the exsisting paint too. If you can't get the black marks off with TSP, I'd rec'd spot priming or possibly priming the whole room. In fact depending on the size of the room and the exsisting color, you might want to consider priming regardless.
Oh, and I can't speak for the Golden Eagle roller covers, although I've read several good testimonials. I can speak for the White Dove as they are my favorite. The only roller I care to use anymore....especially if I'm using high end paint on a highly conspicuous wall.

I hope this helps- for what its worth.
Tedstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedstor View Post
-Small can for cut-in paint.
-Paint can opener
-Razor knife
-Step stool or small ladder. I actually have 6ft ladder that is light enough for my wife to carry with ease, but can also support my lumps of flab. (small) Ladders are actually pretty reasonably priced and is a tool every home owner should own.
I would recommend a 6-in-1, 8-in-1 or 10-in-1 tool as well. I use that probably more than any other tool I own. The one thing I wish I had on mine is the little hole for popping nails out. It will open paint cans, close paint cans, scrape walls & molding, remove caulk, cut tape, hammer nails, remove nails and just about anything else you can think of.

A ladder like this is fantastic too. The big top step and large tray are great for setting tools on or manuvering while up on the ladder without trying to dance around a 4" tread.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #5

thanks these are all great tips.

i have a werner workplatform which is 20" off the ground and a 8ft ladder at home.

one more question, would i need that extension pole for a standard room? 8ft ceilings?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakko View Post
thanks these are all great tips.

i have a werner workplatform which is 20" off the ground and a 8ft ladder at home.

one more question, would i need that extension pole for a standard room? 8ft ceilings?
a pole or two makes life a whole lot easier unless you are really tall.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote