Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Rod

Rewards Points: 10

Painting drywall in garage

Getting my house ready for sale. I want to dress up the appearance of the garage walls which are unpainted drywall. Can this be done with one coat of a good quality paint or does it have to have a coat of primer first? If possible I would like to do the job with a single coat of paint. If not, is there a type/brand of primer that looks similar to a coat of paint? I'm basically trying to cover up the taped (mudded) walls. Thanks in advance.

Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Paperhanger/painter

Rewards Points: 75

Use a high-quality primer, like Porter's BlankIt, or Ben Moore's Fresh Start. Doubtful one coat will do a full cover, but reckon it can't hurt to try.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

I remember a primer but not the name. It was a PVA primer. When I build an apartment I used it. Bought it at the discount outlet. (Mr. Seconds) The stuff went on nice and covered pure white with one coat. I have since used Gliddens & BM, PVA and it just doesn't cover as well.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

For a big area like the garage, get yourself one of those **big** rollers (like 18-20"). I didn't discover those until *after* priming and painting my 24x28 garage walls with a 9" roller. Talk about boring...
Neil_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Retired N lovin It

Send a message via Yahoo to VetteMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
Getting my house ready for sale. I want to dress up the appearance of the garage walls which are unpainted drywall. Can this be done with one coat of a good quality paint or does it have to have a coat of primer first? If possible I would like to do the job with a single coat of paint. If not, is there a type/brand of primer that looks similar to a coat of paint? I'm basically trying to cover up the taped (mudded) walls. Thanks in advance.
Careful .... Garage walls tend to get stained with everything from water stains to grease ....... all of these will bleed through whatever you put on the walls ... Ask me how I know. You will have to seal them out first ... I have found that Bullseye alcohol primer works best .. but dont get it on your hands ... it wears off .. lol
VetteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Rod

Well, almost finished now. I went to my local Duron paint store (3 times; these walls are thirsty) and the owner recommended using a high quality primer with the formula: W-Y4 which I think he said equates to 4 ounces of white tint which acts as a thickening agent to the primer. Anyway, it pretty much did what I wanted. Definitely a drastic improvement over the taped/mudded surfaces. Thanks everyone for your input!

Rod is offline   Reply With Quote