DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

painting a dresser for a bathroom

3K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  cindyb861 
#1 · (Edited)
I am redoing a bathroom & want to paint an old dresser to use as a base for a white vessel sink. The dresser has an oval mirror mounted by posts on the side of the dresser. Bathroom will be white wainscote with light country green above it & dark red as accent color. Any suggestions on what to do with the dresser? Thank you!

Additional question - not real familiar with antiquing furniture. If I painted the dresser white is there a way to antique it either with dark red or green, or am I way off base?

#2 ·
that'd honestly be my first choice but the dresser has a birdseye maple veneer which has peeled off one drawer. I will have to peel off the rest of that drawer & put another venner on before painting but doubt I'd match it well enough to leave wood. But thanks for the input!

#4 ·
I thought about that, was worried about too much white. Thought about maybe painting just the top of the dresser a color, maybe the wall color, to break it up a bit. Although maybe by the time I set accessories on it (in the dark red - soap pump, toothbrush holder,etc) that would be enough to break it up?

Steal away - I'm flattered!

#12 ·
Same to you - curious to see how it comes out. After a busy day at Lowes & antique hunting I have decided to put in a claw foot tub, and have found both a commode (dry sink) & a unique dresser, either of which would be perfect & need no painting or refinnishing. I just have to make a decision!! The dresser is kind of unusual, 2 different woods & has a very nice mirror, so I'm leaning in that direction. I need to do before & after pictures, although I have already stripped wallpaper so it's not exactly before. Found a very strange tree stenciled on one wall with it's branches going around the corner......a bit odd!!!

Keep me posted on your progress!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.