Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Painting door frames

I recently changed our interior doors out from old 1980's hollow brown door to white 6 panel doors however we only changed the door not the door frames. Are there any suggestions to painting these without making a total mess?

hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Painting door frames

Nothing special needed... a high-quality Purdy, Wooster, or Corona brush, (About $15) some trim paint from an actual paint store (not a big-box) ($30-$40 / gal. 1 gallon should be more than enough), a drop cloth and some time. I use SW ProClassic Waterbourne Gloss, but just about anything that matches your doors at or near the top of the paint company's line will work.

My biggest piece of advice would be to leave the doors open for as long as, and as much as, possible after coating the frames. This will decrease the amount of sticking while the paint cures. Try to keep those doors open almost all the time for at least a month for the best results.

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
NAV

Painting door frames

I would like to add - if you are not a painter you probably should remove the doors and hardware if you dont want to mess them up.

you can get a quality painter to do them if there are more than 10 for about $40 each - maybe even material included if it is white or they are hurting for work like everyone else
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Painting door frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
I recently changed our interior doors out from old 1980's hollow brown door to white 6 panel doors however we only changed the door not the door frames. Are there any suggestions to painting these without making a total mess?
My advice is this: get some good tape (frog tape or shurline razor) to tape off the door frame. There's no reason to get the walls painted up, and it's very hard for the average person to paint the outside edges of the frames. I would also recommend a very soft tipped brush for this project: the Wooster Alpha, Corona Cortez or the Purdy Clear Cut should do nicely: this will reduce brush marks a bit and give you a nice heavy coverage.

And finally, get a good quality paint, likely in semi gloss or gloss, and maybe some floetrol; the floetrol will help extend paint drying time in the event that you make a mistake. Glossy paints are notoriously difficult to work with, and you can't really fix the mistakes without redoiing it. A bit of floetrol will also help reduce brush marks.
DarthPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
DIF

Painting door frames

What Naz said, remove the door and all the hardware, highly recommended on every site i've been to so far. Also see if you can get two sawhorses or something similar to lay the door on,then paint away.
Ms&Mr Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Painting door frames

Here is the ??, are you painting the doors or the frames?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door frames, door jamb frame