Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Painting disaster!!!

I recently moved into a rental house which is in much need of a painting makeover!!! The previous tennant has painted the entire house in either a semi-gloss or gloss paint which is all bright yellow and green. I am a more neutral person, and I'd much rather have a flat paint except in maybe the kitchen and bathroom. The other problem is that there are staples, holes and bumps all along the walls. I need suggestions of what are some inexpensive yet good quality primers and paints as well as some tips on how to get the blimishes in the walls out. Remember this is not our home to own just rent for the next few years, so we want it to look nice but not at a huge cost to us.

bjah7886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Painting disaster!!!

Is the previous gloss surface oil based or latex base? If it's oil then you'll need to prime before acyrlic paints will adhere.

Here's my formula:

1. Clean the walls with TSP then rinse and let dry.
2. Repair/patch problem areas
3. Prime. Shop at a professional paint store and they'll help you choose the primer based on the previous surface and desired topcoat. Ask them to tint the primer as much as the datasheet allows to give you a head start on coverage.
4. Apply a quality topcoat - plan on 2 coats.

When it comes to painting, shortcuts are usually penny wise and pound foolish. Even if it's a rental do it right the first time. Is there any reason the landlord won't do it for you or give you an allowance if you do it for them?

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Painting disaster!!!

Fill the nail holes, etc with drywall mud and sand. If there are only a few you can use Drydex. Drydex is cool to use...it goes on pink and dries white, plus you can sand it with sandpaper or a damp cloth, but only for small holes. Once you have done that, roll on a coat (or 2 coats might be better) of oil based primer, then your paint...flat or otherwise.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #4

Smile

Painting disaster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
Is the previous gloss surface oil based or latex base? If it's oil then you'll need to prime before acyrlic paints will adhere.

Here's my formula:

1. Clean the walls with TSP then rinse and let dry.
2. Repair/patch problem areas
3. Prime. Shop at a professional paint store and they'll help you choose the primer based on the previous surface and desired topcoat. Ask them to tint the primer as much as the datasheet allows to give you a head start on coverage.
4. Apply a quality topcoat - plan on 2 coats.

When it comes to painting, shortcuts are usually penny wise and pound foolish. Even if it's a rental do it right the first time. Is there any reason the landlord won't do it for you or give you an allowance if you do it for them?
My husband is military and it was sight unseen, which is why we signed an initial month to month in case we werent pleased. We are still actively searching for something, but it seems this is the best fit. I have a meeting with the landlord at the home this week, but I am not sure what is an appropriate allowance for the "fixing-up". There are some things like blimishes, and dingyness that I feel should be his responsibilty. I am not sure if the painting should be mine or his. This is the first home we have rented, in the past we rented one bedroom apartments.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Painting disaster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjah7886 View Post
My husband is military and it was sight unseen, which is why we signed an initial month to month in case we werent pleased. We are still actively searching for something, but it seems this is the best fit. I have a meeting with the landlord at the home this week, but I am not sure what is an appropriate allowance for the "fixing-up". There are some things like blimishes, and dingyness that I feel should be his responsibilty. I am not sure if the painting should be mine or his. This is the first home we have rented, in the past we rented one bedroom apartments.
My advice is to negotiate with the landord. Walk thru the house and ask him if he would want to live there with the walls that way.

Then ask him if he'll give you a rental allowance equal to the total cost of materials and your labor. In return, you might need to agree to a longer term lease.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Painting disaster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
My advice is to negotiate with the landord. Walk thru the house and ask him if he would want to live there with the walls that way.

Then ask him if he'll give you a rental allowance equal to the total cost of materials and your labor. In return, you might need to agree to a longer term lease.
Thank You!

Tags
blimishes, landlord, paint, rental, tennant