Painting A Dining Room Table-Please Help - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a dining room table-Please help

I just purchased a large dining room table finished in a Shabby Chic finish and I just want to paint it a semi gloss or satin black. I am not concerned with wood grain showing, but want some paint that is durable and will last.

What is the best paint to use and/or most cost effective? How do I make it last?

Advertisement

Last edited by mbreihan; 01-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.
mbreihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

First you have to use a good primer so that the paint will adhere. If you paint directly onto the finish on the table your have problems. In this case because your looking for durable I would suggest using oil base products. Clean up will be messy and have stonger odor but will be much more durable and longer lasting then latex. For the primer either oil base kiltz or shellac base bin. For the paint I would suggest asking for a good quality oil base. Seme gloss finish will be harder then a satin finish.

Advertisement

bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Take a look at Muralo Ultra Satin. It dries as hard as the old oil base paints.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheblindguy View Post
First you have to use a good primer so that the paint will adhere. If you paint directly onto the finish on the table your have problems. In this case because your looking for durable I would suggest using oil base products. Clean up will be messy and have stonger odor but will be much more durable and longer lasting then latex. For the primer either oil base kiltz or shellac base bin. For the paint I would suggest asking for a good quality oil base. Seme gloss finish will be harder then a satin finish.

I would use neither of these products, they are not needed. A QUALITY bonding primer such as Fresh Start will do what you need.Then any QUALITY 100% acrilic latex for the finish will do. An oil based finish would probably hold up longer as posted.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would use neither of these products, they are not needed. A QUALITY bonding primer such as Fresh Start will do what you need.Then any QUALITY 100% acrilic latex for the finish will do. An oil based finish would probably hold up longer as posted.

Not sure I am convinced an oil based product would hold up any better on a kitchen table surface than a nice latex semi gloss with 100 percent acrylic. Do add Floetrol to the latex to get rid of your brush stroaks or roller cover patterns though. Do remember the paint will need to cure, especially latex, for 30 days before you set anything heavy on it. I would definitely degloss the current surface chemically or with good old fashioned fine grit sandpaper and use an alkyd primer. You could think about putting a watebased poly urethane over the top of a latex if you need the durability.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diining table , paint , refinishing