Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Share |

Painting deck railing...which Big box store paint?

Hello everyone,

I have a deck project that we will be starting this weekend...We painted / stained or deck last summer using deck restore. Although I don't have any complaints with the product, I hate the color. So with that, we have taken a completely different approach. We found trex at a substantially low price, so we well be replacing the decking with that. We don't have the money to do the railing so we have decided to paint it. The railing will be white. I think satin? As much as I love SW...I am going to have to pass because of the prices. I called today and a gallon of the duration is $67.00. promotion ended Monday So now I have no choice but to get something cheaper. I do not want to spend any more than $40.00 a gallon. We well be using an airless paint sprayer. This deck will endure the harshest of the elements.

Behr, valspar, etc?

Anyone?

Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

One thing I would never do is paint anything on a deck........spindles included. Just stain them white.
As for SW, they have many versions of their paint........you don't have to buy Duration. There's SuperPaint, A-100, among others that are reasonable in price. If you insist on painting the spindles, be sure to prime them and apply 2 coats of paint, my choice would be SuperPaint.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (04-27-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

I haven't been happy with the stains. Re-doing every 3 years. I am looking for something that will last a little longer. Plus we are hoping to replace them with trex (eventually)

How much is the super paint and A- 100 paint? (EDIT: contacted local store...superpaint $54.99 and A-100 $41.99) Unfortunately the superpaint is too expensive.

We probably have 80+ feet of railing

So no paint & primer combo?

Last edited by Dork Fish; 04-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would see what SW's Woodscapes Acrylic Solid Stain in White (or whatever color you want it tinted) is going for and use it for this. Ben Moore has a comparable product but I never used it before "retiring". I think it is Arborcoat but do not hold me to that. Both are self-priming.

You will not get the life out of a box store paint or solid stain you will from something like Woodscapes so one way or the other you will pay the price difference or more since you will have to do the railing again next year if you use box store product.

You do not want to trust the paint and primer in one hype for this. Especially if you want to milk what longevity you can out of the paint job you should lay down a separate, quality primer coat first---if you paint and do not solid stain. As mentioned, if painting, factor in a primer coat and two coats of finish.

You will probably have to scruff the Restore surface for adhesion of either paint or solid stain as well. I've never put a finish over that stuff so do not know for sure how to advise you to prep. Perhaps the only thing that will work is a high bond primer and two coats.

Obviously you say your exposing the product you pick to the harshest of environments so any product will feel the environment. Just do not be penny wise and pound foolish. I do understand cashflow concerns.

Ask the paint dealer what discount they might extend you (you will not get it if you do not ask), even if neither is running current 40 percent off sales. I think both SW and Ben Moore run some permanent coupon campaigns you can tap with an online search.

Last edited by user1007; 04-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Painting Contractor CT

I would go with SW solid stain on this one! Good luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KD PAINTING For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Wow, thank you for the input. I think I an going to go the stain route. I have never stained white before. I am a little nervous about that. I purchased a couple of bottles of stripper from HD. I think I will try that first unless you all have better/other ideas.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You did not mention stripper in your OP. What kind did you get at the box store in bottles and based on what recommendation? Not minimum wage orange apron I hope. What purpose is that to serve? Are you sure you need it?

Any hints on the Restore packaging for overcoating it?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

I only got the stripper when i decided to stain instead of painting. No recommendations. I just got some assuming that it would need to be done. The current stain is pretty dark. I assumed that it wouldneed to be removed. Not sure,I think it was the Behr brand or maybe Thompson. Not at home right now. I can check it a little later.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If it is stain, I would just scrape/powerwash off anything peeling and sand any rough spots. You will not be able to strip it out of the grain anyhow.

You shouldn't need to strip it unless the Restore left some sort of solid resin, but even then, the Woodscapes or Arborcoat acrylic solid stain should go right over it. You might have to scruff it up a bit if it is glossy? It may take a couple coats of solid stain to cover the dark color on theree now but the product is self-priming (not to be confused with paint and primer in one).

If you have a wax based Thompson's product on there I may have disturbing news for you. That miserable stuff can be a real pain to get rid of and you will need to use a wax stripper (like you would use on a floor) to try and get it out of your way. Then make sure algae and mold did not take hold in or under it. Get rid of that.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Okay, nothing is peeling. So that is good news. I would have never guessed the solid white stain would have covered the existing. So should I buy some sort of cleaner? And pressure wash?

The second deck may be the bad news...it has what I remember as the Thompson water seal. Not sure but something to that affect
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

Okay, nothing is peeling. So that is good news. I would have never guessed the solid white stain would have covered the existing. So should I buy some sort of cleaner? And pressure wash?

The second deck may be the bad news...it has what I remember as the Thompson water seal. Not sure but something to that affect. I believe it was done about the years ago. Any advice on that one?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #12

Would we be able to use the airless sprayer with the woodScapes?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post

The second deck may be the bad news...it has what I remember as the Thompson water seal. Not sure but something to that affect. I believe it was done about the years ago. Any advice on that one?
Definitely want to clean what you have. Whether it requires pressure washing is up to you since we cannot see what you have. Obviously, do not use more pressure or water than you need and let it dry out before proceeding with staining. Use the appropriate deck wash. I personally think people go a little crazy with pressure washers when a wet brush/broom and hose would do as good or better job and with less potential damage. Those car wash brush set ups work well on railings. Not saying I would not reach for a pressure washer if the appropriate tool. Never atomize things like ammonia or bleach through a pressure washer!

I would try a gallon of Woodscapes or whatever to make sure it will work as you want. I think you will like it. You should not have problems moving it through your sprayer and I suspect you can thin it some per label instructions. Remember in addition to white and some factory colors you can have it tinted like paint.

As mentioned Thompson's Water Seal is a liquid wax based product. The good news MAY be that you put it on long enough ago it has deteriorated to the point it is no more. The stuff usually only lasts a season or so. If water is still beading at all it means some of the wax remains and all you can try and do is strip it almost like you would a waxed floor and probably with similar solvents. You might want to hit a janitorial supply that sells such stuff cheaper than a box store.

We are just talking solid staining railings and not the decking right? I don't think solid stains (or even porch or floor paints for that matter)---even if the labeling says they will work---a good idea for exposed deck surfaces.

Last edited by user1007; 04-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #14

Taking notes...

Okay, I figured out what we used on the other deck. It was Behr. I have attached a picture

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_073310.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_073323.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #15

Not that it matters but here is a pic of a portion of or deck. Sorry sun was coming up

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_101214.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  44.1 KB
Attached Images