Painting Deck Oil - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Deck Oil

I have used different stains for 30 yrs on antiques ect, so I am experienced in applying properly. I have applied Cabot's Deck oil for the past 7yrs on my decking. I never had a problem. This yr I did the same as I always do and it took over a week to dry. Not only that, but now when you move the outdoor furniture, there seems to be a thick subtance which is the stain that comes off. The only difference in the tins previously bought to the recent one, is the drying time nominated on the back of the tin. It's supposed to dry quicker????I have just wrote to Cabot's and waiting for the outcome. I know it will need to be sanded to remove the stain as it just isn't right. Will keep in touch. Terri

Advertisement

turner3477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Painting Deck Oil

Cabot changed their formula,I have used their stuff for many years and debating on using it this year. Even their Timber oil went to crap.
Sorry but I am not sold on the new stuff.
What is the color on the lid?

Advertisement

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Painting Deck Oil

How did you prepare the deck before you applied the oil? Was it cleaned with a sodium percarbonate cleaner? You may have to have the old coating stripped off and neutralized before add in a new coating.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

Painting Deck Oil

Something as simple as the humidy was to high or the deck was not dry enough can effect how the acts.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Painting Deck Oil

Like CaptRandy said any deck needs to be cleaned properly prior to staining. Sodium percarb deck cleaning products are the way to go. You may have also over applied the new stain.
You can remove the finish by using a deck stripper, low pressure and neutralizing after
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Scott

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Deck Oil

I think it is a combination of all above comments.

-Deck was not properly prepped. Either not cleaned correctly or there was so many coats of old stain that it should have been stripped.

-Cabot has changed their formulas numerous times over the years. In addition every year new states have adapted to lower 250 VOC laws. In the past couple of years Ohio, Indiana, and Ilinois have updated. The Cabot 250 formula is a higher "solid" content with a lower "solvent content". This can result in slow drying/curing with the stain staying sticky, tacky, attracting dirt/mold faster, etc.

Advertisement

opwdecks is offline   Reply With Quote