Painting Cultured Marble - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting cultured marble

Hi! First post from me. Just wondering if cultured marble can be painted. I am trying to remodel my 11 year old bath on the cheap. The cultured marble tub surround on the jacuzzi has yellowed, and I want to paint it white. The is just the casing for the tub, and won't see any water than an occasional splash. I don't know how it will look, but I'm willing to try. Any suggestions or ideas?

Advertisement

debden55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

painting cultured marble

Cultured marble is plastic. I have not tried Cultured marble in particular but I have had great success on different types of plastic with Krylon's "Fusion for Plastic". It seems pretty durable and cleanable but it will scratch. As far as I know it only comes in a spray. Be sure to sand with a very fine 800 wet/dry paper before spraying.

Rege

Advertisement

RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

painting cultured marble

I would go with marine paint designed for fiberglass hulls. You don't want some easily-scratched spray paint for a bathroom.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

painting cultured marble

you might want to consider a good cleaning first with a non residue type cleaner and a scotch brite pad - this should scuff up the surface a little and clean any residue off the surface. Next, I would try a product called STIX if you can find it - it's made by Insl-x. This is a latex primer that is made to adhere to the toughest surfaces. After that dries I would probably use a product like Ben Moore's WaterBorne Satin Impervo - I would stick to a waterborne product because oils will yellow - they always do regardless of what they say...

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

painting cultured marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
After that dries I would probably use a product like Ben Moore's WaterBorne Satin Impervo - I would stick to a waterborne product because oils will yellow - they always do regardless of what they say...

good luck!
I wouldn't trust an ordinary interior paint on tub trim, even with a quality primer, and even though Impervo is a fine paint. It's just too steamy that close to the tub.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

painting cultured marble

sirwired nailed it with the marine paint. I don't think anything else would hold up well. Interlux Perfection would be a good choice, just follow the instructions for application on fiberglass (cultured marble is made with fiberglass resins, as I understand it). Ain't cheap, though....but cheaper than replacing the surround and it'll last a long time
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

painting cultured marble

Krylon Fusion is Great stuff now available in brush on form too (although admittedly harder to find). Cultured marble is essentially plastic. Cures in shorter period of time than other suggestions...

Last edited by Toshalee540; 02-26-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Toshalee540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

painting cultured marble

"on the cheap"- One of my favoirite phrases. In a high -moisture area, epoxy is the best remendy to change colors, and to provide a washable, durable surfaces.

Advertisement

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote