Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

painting concrete

i just purchased a house in October. The house has about 6 inches from the ground exposed that isn't have vinyl siding covering it and the previous owners had the exposed concrete painted white i want to repaint it due to it chipping and being faded and dirty. Is there any brand paint which is better then any other for this project? And also the chimney on the roof is painted white and it looks horrible is there a special paint that can be used for both that will be long lasting?

typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

painting concrete

The first thing you're going to want to do is make sure you get rid of all the loose and peeling paint, as well as all the dirt that is on the surface. If you have access to a pressure washer that would be ideal - and that will take off the loose paint as well as dirt. Now would also be a good time to fill any cracks you might find in the foundation. You are going to want to make sure you let everything dry out for a couple of days before proceeding to your next step. After you do all your prep work, you have some options. You could simply apply a quality exterior latex paint. I would suggest priming first with a masonry primer. Ben Moore's 066 masonry primer comes to mind followed by one of their exterior latex products. You could also look into a product such as thorocoat or thorolastic (thorolastic would be my choice). Not sure how readily available it is near you but I would imagine the better paint stores or building supplies will have it (or be able to get it). You might also want to consider a different color - white is going to get dirty fast no matter what you do. Maybe a light gray???

good luck!!
If you want to post some pics you might pick up some more suggestions..

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

painting concrete

thanks i'll look into those products and yes light gray was at the top of my list.

Thanks.
typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

painting concrete

A primer is not needed if the surface is clean. Just mist the surface to moisten it and apply Thoroseal. If you use the dry Thoroseal, you can get in white or gray. Mix according to directions and do let it sit as recommended to let it "fatten" up before the final mixing. You can use a bonding additive (Acryl 60 or similar) to the mixing water for increased bond. Thoroseal may be coated with any material, especially Thorocoat, other Thoro products or any material suitable on a very tight concrete surface. Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 04-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
jce

Rewards Points: 10

painting concrete

From the sounds of it , your looking at a stucco type surface , as mentioned you could just use a quality latex paint, combined with a good masonry primer.
OR
An elastomeric coating would be ideal , as it is "rubbery" and will help bridge any hairline cracks in the surface.
jce is offline   Reply With Quote