DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting / Coating Laminate Counter top? Kitchen Cabinets

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://gianigranite.com/index.html

(Coating that gives the granite 'look' for laminate counter tops).

I figure for $70 it's worth a shot. Our laminate is in excellent shape, just VERY plain...and since I'll be painting the kitchen cabinets...it would be the perfect time.

As for painting the cabinets...I'm reformed car guy. So I'm familiar with the fact that the hardest (and most expensive if you are paying for labor) part of any painting job is the prep work. The best material and technique in the world won't make up for lousy prep work. That being said...

Our cabinets don't appear to be 'laminate' they appear to be real wood, with a varnish / stain and some type of poly on top. I do have a few specific questions:

1. Does poly on wood work like cars? Just fill / fix / sand any surface imperfections, otherwise if the existing finish is in good shape just knock the shine off with a some light sanding for some bite?

2. I figure primer is a must, and specific recommendations?

3. Wife wants them painted black. I figure semi-gloss. Any specific recommendations (on experience) with brand, type of paint etc?

I will likely be filling the "designed / grooves" in the doors with wood putty after sanding, then priming / painting.

Any problem with light sanding before the last coat of paint? (I'm talking 300+ grit wet, just so the final coat looks sharp)....is wood different than painting cars in this case?

I'm going to ASSUME (you know what they say about that) that a QUALITY paint with good application won't need a poly or clear coat.. ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(I did search for painting cabinet threads..I got to page 6 or so.....I'll search some more)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You want to fill in and sand defects in the finish. Then de-gloss it with fine grit sandpaper.

I would use a quality PAINT STORE, not box store, alkyd primer but a superbonding water based one will do too.

I would finish with two coats of semi-gloss, high acrylic content paint but you could go with gloss I guess. You could try a melamine but it tends to chip. You could get a black poly product. You will want to get a factory mixed paint if you are painting black as the store mixed color may not be dense enough and the tint colors don't always want to mix into the base so well.

I always added Floetrol to reduce brush marks.

Remember that interior semi-gloss and gloss paints take 30 days to cure!

I am skeptical of the countertop refinishing products tempting as they sound. I guess if you were selling the place and needed a quick appearance change it would be worth a shot. They thought of a layer of faux granite ending up in my food just does not appeal to me. Some on this site seem to have had great luck with products like you mention but I think most have used the Rustoleum product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.