Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Share |

Painting closet doors - fiberglass? not wood

I have these sliding white closet doors, they feel like plastic, maybe they're fiberglass? I'd like to repaint them white, what they best type of paint to use? Spray paint? Latex paint and roll it on? Primer?

Also, how do I take it off the track? There is only a top track, no bottom. I feel like such a fool asking

gtothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Got a picture.
Sounds like Bifold doors or bipass doors.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture.
Sounds like Bifold doors or bipass doors.
Yes bi-fold doors
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Reach up and pull down on the spring loaded roller at the top to reliece it.
Just lift the whole door up and swing it out away from the bottom outside corner.
I've never seen plastic or fiberglass bifolds, but I guess it's possible.
Most are metal, MDF or real wood.
If there flat or paneled, not louvered doors then I just lay them flat and use foam 6" hot dog looking roller and a sash brush.
Should come out smooth as glass.
I like to use an enamel paint on doors, it's a much harder paint.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #5

Thank you...maybe they are MDF, they're def not wood and they really have a plasticy feel to them. I'll get one of those foam rollers and give it a try. Hope I can get the doors off the track, somehow I always struggle with that
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Gto, if they've never been painted, and you want some insurance, prime them with a bonding primer. Zinsser 123 will do the trick for them. Then apply the finish of your choice. To remove bifolds, just open them all the wall, folded in half, lift them up, pull the bottom away, and the top just drops out. They should have top and bottom pins, the top on a spring and fixed bottom pin. But, unless portions of the door are hidden by the frame and difficult to paint, bifolds are easier to paint hanging.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

They are most likely hollow MDF.

You say "repaint" them so I assume they are already white. That means they came factory primed, or already painted. In that case you don't need to prime them again, just paint over them. I would use a brush and not a roller for the best look. Rollers give a cheap stippled look to things like closet doors IMO. I would not use flat paint - eggshell or semi-gloss.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
They are most likely hollow MDF.

You say "repaint" them so I assume they are already white. That means they came factory primed, or already painted. In that case you don't need to prime them again, just paint over them. I would use a brush and not a roller for the best look. Rollers give a cheap stippled look to things like closet doors IMO. I would not use flat paint - eggshell or semi-gloss.
Not always true. I frequently use mohair rollers to paint doors/trim. Mohair doesn't have the stipple of a regular roller, and it leaves what resembles a uniform factory finish. Most six panel doors have the faux wood texture which hides most brush sins, and masks roller stipple even from a non mohair cover. However, a door like a smooth masonite door or metal doors would look far better done with a mohair finish than a brushed one done by an inexperienced brush hand. Smooth doors also have no delineation between the stiles and the rails which makes success even more difficult. As a pro you have to know how to play your cards the right way.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #9

My $.02 if they are louvered spray them to get around the louvers with out runs is a nightmare. Remove them then spray and I agree with the enamel.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #10

The doors are paneled and have the faux wood finish. I don't have a paint sprayers and am not going to buy one. Should I roll, brush or spray paint? Whenever I brush, it tends to leave the brush stroke marks when dry. When I roll, I've used the "shaggy" kind of rollers, not sure the name. I've never tried the hot dog looking foam rollers.

Separate note, I painted my front door (not wood, it's metal or fiberglass) in gloss black, using a brush and the "shaggy" roller and it came out horribly. Brush and stipple marks all over my door. Can it be fixed? Sand it down and repaint?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtothek View Post
The doors are paneled and have the faux wood finish. I don't have a paint sprayers and am not going to buy one. Should I roll, brush or spray paint? Whenever I brush, it tends to leave the brush stroke marks when dry. When I roll, I've used the "shaggy" kind of rollers, not sure the name. I've never tried the hot dog looking foam rollers.

Separate note, I painted my front door (not wood, it's metal or fiberglass) in gloss black, using a brush and the "shaggy" roller and it came out horribly. Brush and stipple marks all over my door. Can it be fixed? Sand it down and repaint?
Panel doors use a good quality paint like S/W Pro Classic or BM (brain fart) I can't think of the name for it. These paint have levelers in them or if you use other paint use this http://hueconsulting.blogspot.com/20...shstrokes.html
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Not always true.
Kind of hard to say "not true" when you're talking about someone's opinion (i.e. mine).
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtothek View Post
Can it be fixed? Sand it down and repaint?
Must be sanded and repainted.

You can learn to brush correctly and use the best type of paint to eliminate brush strokes. Some amount of brush strokes looks fine and complements the grain on your faux wood panels. Your finish brush mark should always go in the direction of the wood grain. There is an order to doing the panels on doors which you can Google.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Kind of hard to say "not true" when you're talking about someone's opinion (i.e. mine).

Blue is a nicer color than red is an opinion, that can be neither right nor wrong. What you made was a generalization, and that can be right or wrong. Example: school teachers are geniuses, is that right, wrong, or partly true, i.e, not always true?

To an inexperienced brush hand, on most doors, a mohair roller will not only prove to be an easier, more manageable job, but will produce far superior results than using a brush. That's far more true than false. And as far as I've always known, a mohair finish on trim is industry accepted, and I've never had a customer question the outcome. I've rolled masonite doors with a mohair, and with the right paint juiced the right way, they had a sprayed appearance. A microfiber cover will also produce a spray like finish under the right circumstances/approach.

Gto, if you're concerned about brush marks on the doors, use a mini microfiber cover and brush. On a textured door it will work fine. I know a guy who uses standard moppy whizz covers on textured doors and you can barely tell. You'll be fine. As to the black door, good luck sanding brush marks out. Wait till warmer weather, take the door off and lay it flat, take a palm sander and hit it with eighty grit paper, and then stop down to 100, then 120. You're not going to sand them out by hand.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #15

"genius" has a well accepted definition. Personal preference does not.

I prefer brush strokes with the grain of the wood on doors, whether real wood or faux wood. Or on flat doors too, for that matter, unless you can get it perfectly flat and smooth.

Tags
closet doors, paint type, painting