Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #1

Share |

Painting ceramic tile

I'm considering painting wall tiles in the bathroom (shower including).

I have done a test using kitchen & path paint (although other types would do as well I suppose) and covering it with two layers of polyurethane. After all was dry, I tried exposing this test sample to direct flow of hot water for several minutes. Initial results are promising as the sample stayed intact.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on what kind of long term effects I can expect on this. I am not concerned for a time frame longer than about 2 years.

Thank you

pelachrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #2

Painting ceramic tile

painting tiles is done talk to a tile place. is the 2 yrs for replacement or resale?

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting ceramic tile

You could try an epoxy finish or something but hire somebody with the equipment and knowledge to do this sort of thing.

You will not get any sort of lifetime out of any primer and paint situation I can think of if you are going to expose the surfaces to both water and perhaps water pressure from the shower?

New glass or ceramic tile and even really skilled labor to go with it is relatively inexpensive? Why are you trying to paint the tile?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #4

Painting ceramic tile

it's 2 years for replacement and that is 2 years max, could be half the time.

I've considered epoxy which I though would be the best option but the thing is color options. I'd like to match the tile to wall color. Is there a source of epoxy paint in variety of colors?

There will not really be any water pressure acting on the tiles, not on continuous basis.
What I'm trying to do is a quick fix up on a small budget (place is a rental so there's no point in doing anything beyond that) and replacing the tile belongs to that "too much for what it's worth" category
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Painting ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelachrum View Post
I have done a test.... After all was dry, I tried exposing this test sample to direct flow of hot water for several minutes. Initial results are promising as the sample stayed intact.
Men.

So, does anyone ever, like, clean your bathroom?

Sorry, but in a shower the issue is not just water but scrubbing. The reason ceramic tile is so popular in kitchens and baths is because nothing sticks to it. Take your fingernail and scrape your test piece. The first time anyone tries to really scrub it, it will fail.

I don't think there is a DIY product that will work in a shower situation. From what I've read even a professionally done so-called "re-glazing" is delicate, requires non-abrasive cleansers, and is prone to scratching and chipping.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Painting ceramic tile

These re-glazing products do require the care you mentioned as well as potential problems. BUT..., read directions on the new sink or tub. You have the exact same problems and need to use the same care. The warranty on these products is the same as the time offered by the manufacturer that originally coated the tub. Tile on the other hand is tougher than the painted tile since the glazing is heat set. There are good DIY packages to do a professional job. BUT you do need a quality turbine style HVLP spray gun and proper exhaust system to do this job correctly.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Men.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #8

Painting ceramic tile

Quote:
Men.

as a matter of fact it is clean to the point that scrubbing is not needed and routine washing of the tile walls is all that is necessary. ...for your sarcastic information. Besides isn't it absolutely obvious that "long term" includes maintenance??

and yes i did scrub the test area with a hard brush and while barely visible scratches appear, the area remains intact.

thank you for grownup advice, everyone else

Last edited by pelachrum; 11-16-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Painting ceramic tile

Sorry! I was kidding. Didn't mean to offend, but my point still stands. If you are going to be renting this out, you never know how careful tenants will be.
Or are you the tenant?
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Painting ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelachrum View Post
as a matter of fact it is clean to the point that scrubbing is not needed and routine washing of the tile walls is all that is necessary. ...for your sarcastic information. Besides isn't it absolutely obvious that "long term" includes maintenance??

and yes i did scrub the test area with a hard brush and while barely visible scratches appear, the area remains intact.

thank you for grownup advice, everyone else

I do not think there was any need to take offense,I am sure she was just kidding.
I believe you have received all the good answers you are going to get.Me, I would never attempt to apply any paint in a shower area, the 2 or 3 or 4 or5 coats of poly will still fail over time.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #11

Painting ceramic tile

Quote:
Sorry! I was kidding. Didn't mean to offend, but my point still stands. If you are going to be renting this out, you never know how careful tenants will be.
Or are you the tenant?

no big deal
i'm the one renting, for another year or two...
if it lasts another year or two, that's all I need
thanks all