Painting Cement Basement ?'s - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Painting cement basement ?'s

I mentioned in a post a while ago that I have spalling on the cement walls of my foundation. I've found out it's probably due to paint used on the walls down there not breathing or something. I'll attach a picture.

So, I have to fix these walls which are painted with something they probably shouldn't have been painted with. The paint looks like it has been there a lot of years and there is evidence of a dyer fire on one wall where the paint is charred a bit. Some is flaking off, some seems very sound, some is long gone with the cement that spalled.

After I skim coat or whatever it's called over the spalled sections I would like to repaint. My question is if the original paint is the problem, what do I do about making it not a problem? Do I have to strip it or something and then repaint?

What would you recommend I repaint with and can the floors take the same paint as the walls (the floor is not spalling and hardly has any paint left on it). There really is no air flow down there so I also have to worry about fumes and curing/drying.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting cement basement ?'s-badbasement.jpg  

Advertisement

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Ahhh, my favorite thing to do!....Tell me if these are the qualities your looking for: "PrepRite® SF-1™ Sealer"
  • Seals smoke stains, knots and tannins
  • Seals out odors
  • Provides an interior vapor barrier (perm rating <1)
  • Ideal for drywall, wood and wood paneling, block, masonry, stucco, cured plaster, ceiling tiles and previously painted surfaces
Sounds like it to me!....sounds perfect actually....It's a sherwin-williams product and you wont find anything better, I guarantee it. For a topcoat you can use almost anything since you are creating a new substrate (surface) but maybe go with (SW) superpaint or styleperfect.

The floor is a different beast, due to higher traffic, so go with the same primer, but use

"High Performance Floor Enamel" -also a sherwin product....
  • Adds color and style to interior wood floors or concrete floors - inside and out
  • Ideal for stairs, basements and high-traffic areas
  • Formulated to resist household chemicals, gasoline, motor oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid and brake fluid
  • Durable, long lasting and easy to clean
  • Available in 1,000 colors
  • Makes floors a focal point
  • Applies easily with a brush or roller
  • Cleans up with soap and water
Now to prep the walls, you'll need to scrape and possibly even sand a bit, to get all loose material off. You could wash if need be-(especially the stained walls). Same with the floor. Make sure to dust and clean both very well before painting. I've done this process tons of times, and use Sherwin paint for every one...it's awesome...

Good luck and please post a finished product when you get done...love to see the results!

Advertisement

Last edited by Paintguy26; 09-27-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Paintguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

That does sound like the right stuff. Since I have heard the existing paint not breathing might have caused the spalling, do you think I can leave it or do I need to try and strip it?
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

If it was me...I would maybe sand it with a palm sander or something, just to scuff it up, or hand sand and wipe well....The primer is amazing primer, so it will hold up over the previous no problem....
Paintguy26 is offline   Reply With Quote