Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Painting ceiling and walls

Quick question! Painting ceiling and walls in kitchen. How do you not get paint while cutting in where ceiling meets wall? I painted ceiling first then walls, used a straight edge arond perimeter of walls where meet ceiling. Still manage to get paint on ceiling..... Any advice?

Homerlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,084

Ayuh,.... I cut in with a brush, 'n be Careful 'bout it,....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

That's all I use, is a 2-1/2 Purdy sash brush.
Anytime I've tried any toy tools like guards, tape, edging pads all I do is make a mess.
One tool I do you to make it faster to get more paint in that area is a foam roller getting it a close as I can. Then your only trying to paint a really small area with the brush.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,502

Take a 2" or 2 1/2" angled brush apply a line of paint about 1/8" from the ceiling. Using just the tip of the brush push that line of paint up to the ceiling. Or if the ceiling is not textured use blue tape to mask the ceiling.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Startingover (12-05-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

I agree with this guy.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerlion View Post
Quick question! Painting ceiling and walls in kitchen. How do you not get paint while cutting in where ceiling meets wall? I painted ceiling first then walls, used a straight edge arond perimeter of walls where meet ceiling. Still manage to get paint on ceiling..... Any advice?
Hiya Homer...

Personally I don't like trimming into a ceiling 'cause ceilings corners are really never true or square (especially if drywall)...and I really don't like cutting in against a taped ceiling (too much work).

What I do (for what it's worth) is paint the ceiling first, and bring the ceiling paint down the walls 1/2" to 1" down from the ceiling and allow to dry.

Then place a sharpened pencil flat against the ceiling with the point just touching the wall.

With the pencil flush against the ceiling, lightly drag the pencil all the way around the room to create a true straight line, parallel with ceiling, about 1/8" beneath the ceiling plane.

Next, using a high quality 2 1/2" angle sash brush (high quality = Wooster, Purdy, Corona etc.) a steady hand, and a bit of practice and patience, cut against the faint pencil line. The result is a perfectly straight cut-in with a very professional finish appearance.

If any of the pencil line remains visible after the painting is all done, a kneaded eraser or plastic eraser will remove without damaging the fresh paint.

Good luck.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 12-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
bbo (12-23-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,232

Really good tip, Ric.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,188

Really lots of work Rick

I guess after painting thousands of em, you can just cut a straight line, without the pencil process, although it is a good idea.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Really lots of work Rick

I guess after painting thousands of em, you can just cut a straight line, without the pencil process, although it is a good idea.
I dunno, Chris...it takes a mighty talented and experienced craftsman to be able to trim the wall - 1/8 of an inch below the ceiling - consistently and level beneath a wavering ceiling line - straight as an arrow and perfectly parallel to the ceiling plane without some type of pencil line or template to follow...I'm not a painter and I know I couldn't free-hand that line (and trust me on this, not all "professional painters" could either) - but that's one of those "wow factor" abilities ToolSeeker speaks of when describing differences between a professional and DIY-er, and I guess one of the reasons I have such respect for those artisans that are able...

...having said that - for a novice, scoring that pencil line takes really only a few minutes to do even the largest room - and personally I've found that I can cut against a pencil line much faster than cutting into the ceiling/wall corner - so it's really not that much work.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

personally i don't think it looks good .but then again not many people go into a room and look a ceiling cuts as I do

Last edited by ltd; 12-05-2013 at 07:25 AM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

Ric on light color paints have you had any trouble with the pencil line bleeding thru?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Ric on light color paints have you had any trouble with the pencil line bleeding thru?
Actually, no...but that's primarily due to the fact that I trim up to the pencil line and don't attempt to cover it. I try (emphasize "try") to make the pencil line faint enough so that, even with lighter colors, you can't see the pencil line standing on the floor and looking up...If they are noticeable, then I go back over the surface with a kneadable, art-gum or vinyl eraser. I tried to take some pictures of the finished result throughout my own house, but necessary to see the intended results, the resolution had to be such that the file was too big to post.

I actually got this painting "tip" from an old master painter, a true craftsman, 'cause I was so intrigued by his cut lines and the striking finish it produced. Instead of a pencil, he used either a flat-handled putty knife or a 5-way to lightly score, or impress, the line to paint against (thus eliminating any pencil line that may show through a light color)...Unfortunately, my eyesight's not that good that I can trim against a practically invisible line - so that's where the pencil idea came in...

Last edited by ric knows paint; 12-05-2013 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #13

Another tip I do is always bring the ceiling paint down on the walls at least 1/2". To cut in a ceiling you almost have to stand on your head. Then when you cut the walls you are looking straight ahead.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
I dunno, Chris...it takes a mighty talented and experienced craftsman to be able to trim the wall - 1/8 of an inch below the ceiling - consistently and level beneath a wavering ceiling line - straight as an arrow and perfectly parallel to the ceiling plane without some type of pencil line or template to follow...I'm not a painter and I know I couldn't free-hand that line (and trust me on this, not all "professional painters" could either) - but that's one of those "wow factor" abilities ToolSeeker speaks of when describing differences between a professional and DIY-er, and I guess one of the reasons I have such respect for those artisans that are able...

...having said that - for a novice, scoring that pencil line takes really only a few minutes to do even the largest room - and personally I've found that I can cut against a pencil line much faster than cutting into the ceiling/wall corner - so it's really not that much work.

It IS a good idea, I was just giving you a hard time.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

I use a good angled 2 1/2" purdy brush and hold my breath as I do it. I try 'not' go get it right into where the wall and ceiling meet. I like to leave a tiny white line. Seems to be easier if you load the brush well. Then you can go further. My husband did all the sheetrock, so the ceiling was spot on. I run my knuckles against the ceiling to guide me. I have a steady hand and that certainly helps, as does a quality brush.

Last edited by galli62; 12-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.
galli62 is offline   Reply With Quote