Painting A Ceiling And Partially Down Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting a ceiling and partially down walls

Using an off-white paint I'm painting a textured ceiling and then carrying the paint about 12 inches down all the walls. The colour of the bottom portion of the walls is a lot darker than the ceiling colour. Do I have to do a line prior to painting the ceiling/walls? or can I just overpaint into the darker portion of the wall, do a line, and then paint the lower portion of the wall with the darker colour?

Advertisement

JeanneSprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes, to the second option. You always want an overlap with one color whenever two colors meet. Since painting is done top/down, inside/out, you paint the ceiling first, overlapping, then cut your line to the white. Good Luck with that.
Joe

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Since I have experienced attempting to cover light color with a darker color, and, as a DIYer where my time isn't worth near as much as a pro, I would be inclined to paint the ceiling and a few inches down the wall. Paint the dark color and then go back with the ceiling paint to the desired level. JMHO.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Since I have experienced attempting to cover light color with a darker color, and, as a DIYer where my time isn't worth near as much as a pro, I would be inclined to paint the ceiling and a few inches down the wall. Paint the dark color and then go back with the ceiling paint to the desired level. JMHO.
Top/down, the ceiling should be completed first. Most dark colors will go over white, especially a flat ceiling white. It's only the really deep colors with neutral/clear bases that have trouble. I just put a dark brown over white Azek, two coats no problem. SW A-100.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Top/down, the ceiling should be completed first. Most dark colors will go over white, especially a flat ceiling white. It's only the really deep colors with neutral/clear bases that have trouble. I just put a dark brown over white Azek, two coats no problem. SW A-100.
Hadn't really thought about it being ceiling flat. Had a dickens of a time going over Sailcloth with Burgundy. Sailcloth was flat, Burgundy was semi, both Ben Moore Moorgard. I've also had problems covering coverstain primer with McCloskey Hunter Green semi.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Yes, to the second option. You always want an overlap with one color whenever two colors meet. Since painting is done top/down, inside/out, you paint the ceiling first, overlapping, then cut your line to the white. Good Luck with that.
Joe

Boy, I'm glad YOU understood it.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote