Painting A Ceiling And Partially Down Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Using an off-white paint I'm painting a textured ceiling and then carrying the paint about 12 inches down all the walls. The colour of the bottom portion of the walls is a lot darker than the ceiling colour. Do I have to do a line prior to painting the ceiling/walls? or can I just overpaint into the darker portion of the wall, do a line, and then paint the lower portion of the wall with the darker colour?

Advertisement

JeanneSprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Yes, to the second option. You always want an overlap with one color whenever two colors meet. Since painting is done top/down, inside/out, you paint the ceiling first, overlapping, then cut your line to the white. Good Luck with that.
Joe

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Since I have experienced attempting to cover light color with a darker color, and, as a DIYer where my time isn't worth near as much as a pro, I would be inclined to paint the ceiling and a few inches down the wall. Paint the dark color and then go back with the ceiling paint to the desired level. JMHO.
__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Since I have experienced attempting to cover light color with a darker color, and, as a DIYer where my time isn't worth near as much as a pro, I would be inclined to paint the ceiling and a few inches down the wall. Paint the dark color and then go back with the ceiling paint to the desired level. JMHO.
Top/down, the ceiling should be completed first. Most dark colors will go over white, especially a flat ceiling white. It's only the really deep colors with neutral/clear bases that have trouble. I just put a dark brown over white Azek, two coats no problem. SW A-100.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
jschaben
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Kansas
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 502
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Top/down, the ceiling should be completed first. Most dark colors will go over white, especially a flat ceiling white. It's only the really deep colors with neutral/clear bases that have trouble. I just put a dark brown over white Azek, two coats no problem. SW A-100.
Hadn't really thought about it being ceiling flat. Had a dickens of a time going over Sailcloth with Burgundy. Sailcloth was flat, Burgundy was semi, both Ben Moore Moorgard. I've also had problems covering coverstain primer with McCloskey Hunter Green semi.
__________________
John Schaben

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,853
Rewards Points: 2,214
Default

painting a ceiling and partially down walls


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Yes, to the second option. You always want an overlap with one color whenever two colors meet. Since painting is done top/down, inside/out, you paint the ceiling first, overlapping, then cut your line to the white. Good Luck with that.
Joe

Boy, I'm glad YOU understood it.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow in attic through mushroom vents,leaking into great room ceiling thom risley Roofing/Siding 17 02-03-2014 04:47 PM
Framing an unfinished basement captainobvious Building & Construction 7 10-16-2009 10:53 AM
Ceiling Fan Repair Stevera64 Electrical 7 08-18-2009 06:34 PM
Advice for installing ceiling fan Ceiling Fan Man Electrical 5 06-02-2009 05:18 PM
Partially finishing basement nrpalm Remodeling 5 02-06-2008 08:15 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts