Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Share |

Painting ceiling after removing popcorn

Help! We decided to paint our popcorn ceiling with ceiling paint recommended at Menards. After doing that the popcorn starting falling off. So we decided to scrape it all off to paint the ceiling.

We scraped it all off, sanded, wiped it down then painted with Zinsser water based primer & sealer yesterday. This morning we find slits, and parts that are peeling off. We have scraped and sanded those spots and wiped with moist cloth. We are going to repaint the spots again with the primer/sealer tonight. Will that take care of the problem so we can then paint tomorrow? Or should we be concerned that more will peel off? Are we doing something wrong? Should we be doing something else?

Solutions quickly please as he wants to paint quickly.

thanks

Theresa Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

the mud that is in ceiling texture is very poor at bonding and turns to powder easily. What primer did you use?
I like to either thin down Zinsser 123 for penetration, or better yet use Gardz in that situation. It needs to penetrate what ever is left and hold it down.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Gardz
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Gardz
Been looking all over for Gardz, where is it normally hidden at?

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace and SW don't have it in stock. Even went to a local, real hardware store and they didn't carry it.
toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Only place on your list I can't find it at is SW- because it is not their product.
Where are you?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

I had to order it through HD
Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Only place on your list I can't find it at is SW- because it is not their product.
Where are you?
Located in Dallas Texas
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

If you paint professionally or have a big project- you can do what CHrisn did and order it in a 5 from HD- or you can ask your local to get it in for you. I thought all HDs carries the same stuff, but evidently not.
Same for Ace , have them order it, because I know they both carry Zinsser products.

I just googled Gardz- Dallas and showed all area HD's out of stock. Weird.
anyway had this good description:
Zinsser Gardz Drywall Sealer is a water base low order that dries clear.Gardz penetrates and seals torn or damaged drywall.It seals down damaged paper, eliminates bubbles and protects new drywall.This high performance sealer also seals textured walls and popcorn ceilings. Penetrates and seals down damaged drywall Completely seals-in residual wallpaper adhesive Seals textured walls and popcorn ceilings Water-base

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-28-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #9

I found the Zinsser Gardz Problem Surface Sealer (quart size) at Menards in Golden Valley (Minneapolis suburb). Put it on yesterday, repainted with the primer/sealer after 3 hours. Will hopefully be able to paint the ceiling today after we take a good look at the results. Quite a watery substance and leaves a smooth finish.

Looks like it will do the trick. And yes, I know we should check out and ask questions first, but I have a husband that insists on doing things quickly, his way only, won't take my suggestions. Thankfully responses came from men so he was willing to use this product.

Thank you so much for your help.
Theresa Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

I live in Mpls too- Gardz is everywhere! I guess we're in an enlightened area!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Wolf View Post
I found the Zinsser Gardz Problem Surface Sealer (quart size) at Menards in Golden Valley (Minneapolis suburb). Put it on yesterday, repainted with the primer/sealer after 3 hours. Will hopefully be able to paint the ceiling today after we take a good look at the results. Quite a watery substance and leaves a smooth finish.

Looks like it will do the trick. And yes, I know we should check out and ask questions first, but I have a husband that insists on doing things quickly, his way only, won't take my suggestions. Thankfully responses came from men so he was willing to use this product.

Thank you so much for your help.

Gardz IS a primer, sealer, no need for another on top of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Yes you did something wrong...before painting, you should have checked for peeling tape from the ceiling. You need to go through and check for any loose tape, put joint compound behind it, and pull it tight. Let it dry and lightly sand it again. This happens often during popcorn removal. Paint has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Wolf View Post
Help! We decided to paint our popcorn ceiling with ceiling paint recommended at Menards. After doing that the popcorn starting falling off. So we decided to scrape it all off to paint the ceiling.

We scraped it all off, sanded, wiped it down then painted with Zinsser water based primer & sealer yesterday. This morning we find slits, and parts that are peeling off. We have scraped and sanded those spots and wiped with moist cloth. We are going to repaint the spots again with the primer/sealer tonight. Will that take care of the problem so we can then paint tomorrow? Or should we be concerned that more will peel off? Are we doing something wrong? Should we be doing something else?

Solutions quickly please as he wants to paint quickly.

thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #13

Slight update, well for me anyway, local hardware store ordered in Gardz after I asked about it, now have a gallon ready to use.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #14

I had a major painter account who applied or removed thousands of popcorn ceilings in the SF Bay Area. After removing, repairing and sanding a ceiling, they always sprayed a fast-dry oil on it, Granted, Gardz wasn't invented yet, but for those that can't readily find Gardz, Zinsser Cover Stain works well in this situation.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

[quote=Mr. Paint;1045338]I had a major painter account who applied or removed thousands of popcorn ceilings in the SF Bay Area. After removing, repairing and sanding a ceiling, they always sprayed a fast-dry oil on it, Granted, Gardz wasn't invented yet, but for those that can't readily find Gardz, Zinsser Cover Stain works well in this situation.[/quote]

For sure the second choice.If I was in California, I would be using Draw Tite, hands down better than Gardz

http://www.scotchpaint.com/drawtite.html