Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Share |

Painting Cedar Siding - Sanding the paint and wood

My husband and I are repainting our rough cedar siding. We have only been in the house a little over a year and are not sure the last time it was painted. We have scraped off all of the peeling paint. We have also hand sanded the edges between the scraped wood and paint. However, I am concerned that it will still be very noticeable once we paint over it. I do not want to waste all this time prepping and have a terrible looking paint job.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the raised edges of the paint? Do we just need to sand more? Do we need to remove all the paint from the boards?

I have attached two pictures to show our scraping. (We are painting the house in a medium gray, Sherwin Williams Duration, flat)

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Cedar Siding - Sanding the paint and wood-2013-08-31-16.46.10.jpg   Painting Cedar Siding - Sanding the paint and wood-2013-08-31-16.44.34.jpg  

rose ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

As long as all the loose is off you should be OK to paint. Since you are going grey I would suggest a stain blocking primer tinted as grey as they will let you. Glidden makes a gray primer but it is not a stain blocker and cedar has tannins which will bleed thru regular primer.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

Looks like you've done some fine prep work so far. About all I can add is to do more sanding to FEATHER those rough edges out. If you feel confident enough, you can use a power sander such as an orbital to remove more paint and feather those edges. I will warn you, though, it can be tricky to use. You don't want to end up with swirl marks, gouges, etc. Definitely practice on an inconspicuous area.

If it's cedar, you definitely want to use an oil-based primer. Most water-based primers act like a wick on cedar and all the tannins from the cedar come out through the primer leaving ugly yellow/orange/brown stains on your siding which then are difficult, if not impossible, to cover with your finish coats.

You may also consider a solid color stain such as Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes which would eliminate the need for primer.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Power sanding on rough cedar can be tricky because unless you do the whole thing, you can end up with 'smooth' spots that will show through worse than the peeling paint.

That said, I think sanding is very good prep to do and will improve the life of your coating.
Like Gym said try a test spot. Maybe with rough paper (40?) you don't want it too smooth.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. We painted a small section with tinted oil based primer yesterday and could still see the area where the paint was stripped. Can we sand it enough to not notice or is this just an issue with scraping the paint (the paint that peeled was pretty thick probably several paintjobs)? Any advice on how to best feather it when sanding? Maybe just more elbow grease!
rose ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Primer will not cover like paint it is normal to see thru primer. It's job is to seal and give the paint something to stick to basically. Paints job is to cover and add the color.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

Really, it's just more elbow grease. "Feathering" takes some practice and some finesse. You have to sand the high spots rather aggressively and then gently "feather" into the areas that are solidly holding paint. You don't want to be as aggressive or remove as much material the further you get away from the scraped areas. This is how you blend the scraped area into areas where very little scraping was needed. It's much easier to show someone rather than try to explain it. Just gonna take some practice.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote