Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting cedar shake in one coat?

Going to paint our house next year. I did exterior painting for a few years in college, but products have changed since then.

I will be scraping and painting cedar shake siding. I predict this will expose some wood. Will a paint such as Duration cover these imperfections in one coat, or will I be able to point out spots where the wood was not primed before applying the one coat?

LuckyFoot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

There is not a paint made that will cover in 1 coat, no matter what they might claim

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-26-2012), oh'mike (09-27-2012), ToolSeeker (09-27-2012), user1007 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

and there is no such thing as paint and primer in one, its a marketing ploy. go to a benjamin moore or sherwin williams paint store. they should be able to fix you up with what you need.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,122

Although Duration is self-priming, you will get a much better looking job by priming those bare spots first. If you don't prime the bare wood, those areas will soak up more of the paint and leave you with "dead" spots which are spots that look dull compared to the rest of the siding.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Perfect. Thanks for the responses. I will probably budget for spot priming and two coats just in case. The color will be in the same family as the current color, but want to make sure it's done right this time, not sprayed on cheaply like it was last time.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFoot15 View Post
Perfect. Thanks for the responses. I will probably budget for spot priming and two coats just in case. The color will be in the same family as the current color, but want to make sure it's done right this time, not sprayed on cheaply like it was last time.

the only why to do it right, also a slow drying oil primer is best for bare wood( IMO) some disagree

Last edited by chrisn; 09-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Will22 (07-05-2013)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,238

Please check with your local PAINT store because cedar has tannins in the wood that will leech out thru almost any paint (also redwood). If these are not already painted you might be opening a whole can of worms If they are painted ask about the primer I believe you will need a stain blocker like a shellac based, or oil but I don't think you can use a water based.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #8

The house is almost 100 years old. I don't know when the siding was installed. It is painted, and was done with a cheap spray within the past five years to get it ready to sell. The only exposed wood will be what I take off when scraping the loose bits. In general, the siding is in good to very good condition with only a few pieces that show water damage for poor past maintenance.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would explore the possibility of a quality solid color acrylic stain like Woodscapes from Sherwin Williams. You will still need two coats but it can be tinted any color. You can use it over bare wood or new.

Of course if there is crap stain or paint on there now, whatever you put over it is only as good as it adhesion.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #10

Bumping my thread. The cheap spray job purchased by the previous owner is peeling badly now. It's blistering in the sun on the south side of the house. I will be starting to paint this upcoming weekend.

There is an SW store right up the road and I just got a 30% off flyer in the mail, so I believe we will be using SuperPaint or Duration. From my research, it looks like typical finishes are Gloss for windows and soffits; Satin for siding. This should look good on 18-24" soffits still, correct?

We have yet to pick an exterior color, so I will start with painting the trim. I forget the terminology, but the cheap spray painters painted the front of all the trim in the trim color and the sides/edges in the siding color. I will be painting the trim color on the front of the trim and on the sides/edges, then coming back to finish the siding color with a straight cut down seam between the windows and siding. I think the harder finish looks much nicer.

I think the most difficult part for me will be the scraping and prep. The paint that is on the house is a mix of original chipping lead paint and the cheap spray job paint. I figure my new paint job should hold up if I properly pressure wash, scrap, prime and then paint 1-2 finish coats.

Last edited by LuckyFoot15; 06-22-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 510

If the old stuff was peeling, it may very well be because the surface was not clean. If you did painting in college, you know you have to thoroughly wash down the surface. I just finished painting a garage with cedar siding. I spot primed with acrylic primer and finished with BM Aura. I was planning on two coats, but it covered fine with one, so I left it at that. I was painting white over white, and white primer. As you suggested, scraping and prep was the biggest part of the job.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #12

Yes, surface prep is the key, as they say! The person who trained me to paint taught me that, if you pressure wash the surface and then thoroughly scrape the loose paint, it is a safe assumption that the paint that remains has sufficiently bonded to the surface underneath. Is this a safe assumption to use today as well?

For what it's worth, my plan is to scrape and prime everything since the last job was so poorly done.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFoot15 View Post
Bumping my thread. The cheap spray job purchased by the previous owner is peeling badly now. It's blistering in the sun on the south side of the house. I will be starting to paint this upcoming weekend.

There is an SW store right up the road and I just got a 30% off flyer in the mail, so I believe we will be using SuperPaint or Duration. From my research, it looks like typical finishes are Gloss for windows and soffits; Satin for siding. This should look good on 18-24" soffits still, correct?

We have yet to pick an exterior color, so I will start with painting the trim. I forget the terminology, but the cheap spray painters painted the front of all the trim in the trim color and the sides/edges in the siding color. I will be painting the trim color on the front of the trim and on the sides/edges, then coming back to finish the siding color with a straight cut down seam between the windows and siding. I think the harder finish looks much nicer.

I think the most difficult part for me will be the scraping and prep. The paint that is on the house is a mix of original chipping lead paint and the cheap spray job paint. I figure my new paint job should hold up if I properly pressure wash, scrap, prime and then paint 1-2 finish coats.

I really hope you meant SEMI gloss, you DO NOT want a gloss
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #14

I assume it's a semi-gloss.

Maybe someone who knows SW paints will chime in. On their website, I see Flat, Satin, Gloss and High Gloss. Their Gloss description is "This lustrous, durable finish is great for windows, doors and trim or any area that you would like to highlight."
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #15

Update!

I'm making considerable progress on my prep work. I am about 60% complete prepping and priming the trim and windows. We have picked a siding color. Going with SW 6407 Ancestral Gold and the base Extra White for trim. We are using the SW Exterior Latex Primer and SW Exterior SuperPaint.

Two questions:
1) The SW rep recommended using Flat for the siding and Satin for the trim. I already have the trim paint in Satin. It sounds like SW Flat is still washable and will better hide imperfections on the older home.

2) I have 2125 SQFT of siding (roughly). I am priming everything before painting, not just spot priming, so I am looking for some advice on if my paint estimate is correct. Essentially, I have estimated that a 2nd coat of SuperPaint over the first coat will require approximately 50% less paint...should I consider any reduction in the paint required for the coverage of SuperPaint over the Primer? Is the estimate below correct for the siding?

Primer coverage is 350-400 SQFT per gallon: 2125 SQFT/350 = 6 gallons.
Superpaint coverage is 350-400 SQFT per gallon: 2125 SQFT/350 = 6 gallons for 1st coat, and 3 gallons for the second coat, therefore 9 gallons total

Last edited by LuckyFoot15; 07-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.