Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

painting caninets help

I'd like to tackle painting my kitchen cabinets soon. I looked at the rustoleum kit but it looks like it's silly. I'm looking for alternative solutions.

Can I clean, fill holes, sand, prime, sand, prime, paint then just put a polyurethane on the cabinets? If so, would you suggest brush/roll, airless or hvlp?
Or, can I use rattle cans of primer, paint and polyurethane?
Is there a particular type of paint to use? Like an enamel paint?

Thanks

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,228

painting caninets help

Lendosky, lots of threads on here about painting cabinets. Here's ONE example:

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

In short, take off all the doors and remove the hardware. Remove any dirt or grease with Krud Kutter or a suitable cleaner. Then sand them with 150 or 220 grit sandpaper. Remove dust with a tack cloth. Prime with a quality bonding primer such as Zinsser's 1-2-3 or if you think there will be some bleed thru from the wood of the doors, use Zinsser's Cover stain. Allow to dry. Sand again and remove dust. Now you can brush, roll, or spray (not with rattle cans!) the doors. Do the same process with the cabinet frames. I like Proclassic Semi-Gloss for cabinets but it can be a bit tricky to use as it sets up really fast. Two or three coats over the primer and you will be good to go!!! Reassemble the hardware onto the doors and you have new cabinets.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-07-2014), RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

painting caninets help

thank you for answering me on the rattle cans. I just want a smooth finish and didn't want to haul the compressor or the airless so roll and brush it is if you say they'll work fine.

It's good to know that the steps I laid out in my first post are what to do.

I'm still curious as to if I should top the paint off with a poly or not. Oh, and can a good semi gloss suffice in lieu or an enamel paint? I don't want to wait for the enamel to cure.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

painting caninets help

I just did mine with insl-x cabinet coat and am pretty happy with the results, but the rustoleum results ive seen on the net look very nice! I used a 3/8 nap microfiber roller to apply the paint and immediately went over it with a high density foam roller to level it a little better. I used zinsser 123 primer and my cabinets were the laminate.
mopower440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mopower440 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-07-2014), RiderS (05-25-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

painting caninets help

Putting poly over paint isn't necessary.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,228

painting caninets help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
Putting poly over paint isn't necessary.
Amen, it just makes any future touch-ups impossible.

If by "enamel" you mean oil-based, no, I would not use oil. Today's latex paints are superior and oil-based paint yellows over time.

The Proclassic will level out to a buttery smooth finish as long as you don't overwork it. Proclassic is a waterborne paint (latex) that cleans up with water. Semi-gloss works well for cabinets.
Attached Images

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
RiderS (05-25-2014), ToolSeeker (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,178

painting caninets help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lendosky View Post
thank you for answering me on the rattle cans. I just want a smooth finish and didn't want to haul the compressor or the airless so roll and brush it is if you say they'll work fine.

It's good to know that the steps I laid out in my first post are what to do.

I'm still curious as to if I should top the paint off with a poly or not. Oh, and can a good semi gloss suffice in lieu or an enamel paint? I don't want to wait for the enamel to cure.

what in the world for?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-08-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

painting caninets help

I did mine a few months ago. Bought a small electric airless sprayer, and some high quality paint. The key is lots and lots of prep and fine coats. Don't get greedy. If you try to do it quick, it will look bad. If you do fine coats, the results will be excellent.
Gtce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gtce10 For This Useful Post:
RiderS (05-25-2014), ToolSeeker (03-09-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10
Question

painting caninets help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
I just did mine with insl-x cabinet coat and am pretty happy with the results, but the rustoleum results ive seen on the net look very nice! I used a 3/8 nap microfiber roller to apply the paint and immediately went over it with a high density foam roller to level it a little better. I used zinsser 123 primer and my cabinets were the laminate.
Would it be possible to post a few pictures of your cabinets ? I also have laminate cabinets and will be painting then in the near future and I'm curious on how it looks. If you don't mind ? Thanks ?
RiderS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

painting caninets help

I just want to follow up with a report. I removed all the hardware from the cabs, washed with tsp, rinsed 5 times or so, found any imperfections and filled the holes/gouges with nail fill, sanded everything lightly, bought a really good primer from Sherwin Williams that is supposed to stick to glossy surfaces (a little overkill) and painted with the proclassic. I added a little bit of floetrol to the proclassic and holy crap is that a good paint. It does smooth out like glass as long as you only brush it 3-4 times. Any more than that and you will get brush marks. I put three coats on everything and the surface is near rock hard and feels smooth as glass. I did sand with 600 grit between coats and cleaned with a tack cloth.

One more thing--there was a stain in one of the cabs that the sherwin williams wouldn't block so I busted out the zinser 123 and blocked it with one pass whereas the SW still wasn't blocking it after a couple of primes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lendosky For This Useful Post:
Danahy (05-04-2014), RiderS (05-25-2014), ToolSeeker (05-02-2014)