Painting Cabinets With Rust-o-leum Cabinet Transformation Kit - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting cabinets with Rust-o-leum Cabinet Transformation kit

Hello:
This is my first post and was not exactly sure if I was in the right place. Has anyone used the Rust-o-leum Cabinet Transformation kit? Was it as easy as it looks? Can you tell me about your experience and any helpful hints? Thanks a lot.

Advertisement

Darkerdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I have used it before. I am a professional painter and have refinished cabinets the traditional way many times along with painting them.

Need advice on refinishing my kitchen
See my pics on post 14

It is still a lot of work no matter how you look at it. Of course the less cabinets you have the less work. If you go this route follow the specs and do not plan on getting it done in one weekend by yourself. I had about 38hrs on this job but of course I also did two bath cabinets as well. Also imo the glazing portion is essential other wise it will look like a very cheap paint job. With the glaze it is kind of a diy faux job.

If you do go this route document it with before and afters and share them with us I would love to see them. No matter what cabinet jobs are a good amount of work.

Some people that do diy do it because they love it, some do it because they can not afford to pay anyone to do it and lastly some do it because they have the time but are against paying a professional because they are frugal. My point is I being a professional my first advice to others when it comes to cabinets is to hire a professional who has the skills and tools required to take on your job but this is a diy forum so I offer advice to those that are willing to accept it.

I wish you great results if you go for it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Workaholic; 03-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
ltd (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

i have used it about a month ago on a town house rental. the cabinets were trashed i mean filthy .anywho scrub your cabinets ,you don't have to but the painter in me had to go over them with fine sand paper. they give you a dvd and it is very diy friendly instruction. i think you could see it on youtube also. the only part i would say is a little tricky is applying the clear coat , over all if you are a handy or crafty person i think you will be happy with the results. it not magic its definitely work but yea id recommend it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (03-03-2012)