Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting Cabinets in Mobile Home

Does anyone know if it is possible to paint cabinets in a mobile home? They are made of cheap pressed board and covered in what looks like paper. If it is veneer it is the worst I have ever seen. I was thinking of treating it like wallpaper. Oil based primer and then paint. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

hillbillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
the Musigician

You'll likely need to gently clean them with TSP or similar cleaner first, (damp clean, not wet) but there's no reason why not that I can think of.
If they're Made in C**** cardboard as you suggest, the coat of paint will help hold them together longer..... maybe......

DM

Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey Mike,

Sounds like you're on the right track, however I would wash everything down you intend to paint with a strong solution of TSP first to remove any grease residue.

Good Luck,
Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
the Musigician

Boy, I don't know about strong either.... my D-I-L had a cabinet made from that crap.... she went to wash the kid's fingerprints off of it with a wet rag and water is all and in 3 or 4 rubs, she'd taken off the paper and was on particle board! LOL That stuff is way more fragile than wood veneer. I stand by my "GENTLY" clean with damp.

DM
Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

I agree with a thorough cleaning with TSP probably being the most critical aspect, but also agree that too thorough of a cleaning may not be a good thing. So, given the uncertainty, I would look for a means of controlled experimentation. Although not likely, I would start with the shelves, to see see if they are of the same material as the doors, and if that didn't work, I would select the least visible lower cabinet door, and run the entire process on it first; cleaning, priming, and painting. Yes, it may slow down the entire process a little bit, but should reveal any flaws in the plan.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

OK....Gentle then, cuz I gotta tell ya I don't have much exposure to that particular cabinet anatomy. However the grease MUST come off.

Steve
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
OK....Gentle then, cuz I gotta tell ya I don't have much exposure to that particular cabinet anatomy.
Consider yourself lucky, it's garbage.

Worst case scenario, the OP could always clean it up and then use peel-n-stick contact paper..... might be the last resort if it starts disintegrating.... lol

I saw it done once... it wasn't TOO bad in a fake woodgrain.....

DM
Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
So, given the uncertainty, I would look for a means of controlled experimentation. Although not likely, I would start with the shelves, to see see if they are of the same material as the doors, and if that didn't work, I would select the least visible lower cabinet door, and run the entire process on it first; cleaning, priming, and painting. Yes, it may slow down the entire process a little bit, but should reveal any flaws in the plan.
Yeah, definitely find a spot that is hidden to test on first. You can even choose to test the paint in the same spot. No reason to waste your remodeling time on a color you won't like after it's up. Also, PLEASE be sure that you properly ventilate while you are painting. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but too many people really hurt themselves this way. You may even think of wearing a mask... just my own opinion.

shoppy13 is offline   Reply With Quote