Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Painting Cabinets

We are having new cabinets installed soon and we will be painting them. I'm planning to spray them and wondering how I go about masking them off so I don't overspray everything inside?

diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Cabinets

you should setup some ventilation to vent the fumes to the outside air. Just use 2 mil plastic sheets taped to all unpainted areas. Be sure no plastic is loose enough for the air pressure from the sprayer to move it around. If you are spraying you might consider using a lacquer and not paint. This is far superior in a kitchen cabinet than paint.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
you should setup some ventilation to vent the fumes to the outside air. Just use 2 mil plastic sheets taped to all unpainted areas. Be sure no plastic is loose enough for the air pressure from the sprayer to move it around. If you are spraying you might consider using a lacquer and not paint. This is far superior in a kitchen cabinet than paint.

Thank you Bob.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Painting Cabinets

Just to add, if you're not very proficient at spraying this is not something you learn on.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Just to add, if you're not very proficient at spraying this is not something you learn on.

Why are you spraying them? Nothing against the concept when appropriate but in my opinion it usually is not in an existing interior environment. I would brush and or roll them with a nice heavy nap cover anyhow. You will have much nicer finish. Whatever time you spend masking off surfaces on which you don't want paint, you could have had the second coat on with a brush or roller.

Don't forget to prep even new cabinets and put on a really nice primer!!!!!

And you are using paint store, not box store crap paint right?

Last edited by user1007; 01-02-2010 at 07:35 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Painting Cabinets

sdsester... huh? a heavy nap roller makes a nicer finish.. yeah if you want your cabinets to look like stucco. Someone had a great New Year's Eve?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Painting Cabinets

If your going to spray the cabinets you should go with an HVLP sprayer-3-4 stage turbine, but if that's the route you go you'll be looking at about $500 plus to purchase the sprayer. You can use an airless sprayer with a fine finish tip, but you will have to have the experience and mask off a lot more than with the hvlp. Either way you go you should have the experience and there is a lot of preparation with masking off surfaces prior to spraying. Personally if it was me I would lightly sand , clean them, prime them with a good quality primer and then apply 2 coats of a good quality enamel. Buy a good quality brush and a 4-6 inch roller handle-use mohair roller covers with a 1/4 - 3/8 inch nap for a smooth finish.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #8

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
If your going to spray the cabinets you should go with an HVLP sprayer-3-4 stage turbine, but if that's the route you go you'll be looking at about $500 plus to purchase the sprayer. You can use an airless sprayer with a fine finish tip, but you will have to have the experience and mask off a lot more than with the hvlp. Either way you go you should have the experience and there is a lot of preparation with masking off surfaces prior to spraying. Personally if it was me I would lightly sand , clean them, prime them with a good quality primer and then apply 2 coats of a good quality enamel. Buy a good quality brush and a 4-6 inch roller handle-use mohair roller covers with a 1/4 - 3/8 inch nap for a smooth finish.

OK. There is more than enough valuable feedback here to let me know I don't need to spray them. Had some experience with the sprayer yesterday that was not positive and already had me worried about trying to spray the cabinets.

Thank you for all the feedback.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #9

Painting Cabinets

I stripped & painted some of my kitchen cabinets

I took the doors off & had them flat & used a brush
Frames I painted in place, all original from the 50's
It's a Temp fix as the cabinets will be replaced
They did come out very nice without brush strokes
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
sdsester... huh? a heavy nap roller makes a nicer finish.. yeah if you want your cabinets to look like stucco. Someone had a great New Year's Eve?
Bob. Floetrol added to to a nice batch of paint store semi-gloss gives me a near glass like finish every time and the the 3/4 inch nap roller cover puts the paint on heavy enough to be worthwhile. I will match the finish to the look of a sprayer any day. My cabinet refinishing projects never look like stucco!

Last edited by user1007; 01-04-2010 at 12:45 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Bob. Floetrol added to to a nice batch of paint store semi-gloss gives me a near glass like finish every time and the the 3/4 inch nap roller cover puts the paint on heavy enough to be worthwhile. I will match the finish to the look of a sprayer any day. My cabinet refinishing projects never look like stucco!
I am going to take your word for it and some day when it warms up and I can paint in my garage I am going to give the 3/4 nap thing a try, but I have to say, it goes against my 25 years experience of painting, but then again, maybe I will learn a new trick.,Getting it to look like a good spray job would definitely take some practice.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting Cabinets

roller and back brush way to go, works great on interior door too.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

Painting Cabinets

Damn and I spent all that time and money to get a certified training for spray painting cabinets to match the manufactures. These silly companies use expensive lacquers, a $12,000 spray booth and $1500 spray rigs. Surely someone will tell them about this neat trick with a 3/4" nap roller. Even rewrite all painting guides that explain to use a larger nap for rougher surfaces.

Sdsester...I take up your challenge. $1000 for the best finish. My professionally sprayed doors against the 3/4" roller miracle. Scuba Dave to be the judge.

To all others.. this is a joke... I assume so is his suggestions.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #14

Painting Cabinets

I will most definitely not put my brush job up against spray
Mine was a Temp job to redo old cabinets to get another 1-2 years out of them before redoing the kitchen with new cabinets

They were a mess, doors did not open from the "middle"

My only question/thought is why not buy the cabinets the color you want ?
If like Bob you have great spray gear go for it
But the last time I did spray work was on my '66 Mustang over 20 years ago

Which actually came out pretty nice (dirt is on the photograph)

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

I'm sorry, I have to agree with Bob. I would never roll someones cabinets. We try to duplicate the factory finish at the very least. When we leave a customers home, I want people to look at the cabinets and feel as though they were purchased from a high end custom kitchen store. However, we do charge for the extra masking, prep work and the high-end finish products.

wacha is offline   Reply With Quote