Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Cabinets

I have kitchen and bathroom cabinets in my home that the previous owner apparently wanted to "spruce up" prior to putting the house on the market. He had painted over the original cabinets without sanding or stripping. I found this out after putting painters tape on the bathroom cabinets when painting the walls and when removed, the paint from the entire side of the cabinet peeled off in 1 single sheet. As a stop gap, I re-painted with the white paint that the previous owner was nice enough to leave labeled "bathroom cabinets."

My question now is, what will I have to do to properly re-paint these cabinets. I want to try out the rustoleum cabinet kit, initially in the powder room (small, vanity only) to check out the results. They have a de-glosser in the kit, but I don't think I will be able to use that with success if the paint the previous owner used will come off in sheets. Will I need to strip the paint to the wood? Sand? I mention stripping as the doors have some detail to them, and I don't think I could realistically sand them efficiently. If I do strip, would I have to prime? The cabinet doors throughout the are solid wood, if that helps in giving me any advice.

Thanks.

NJHomebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Cabinets

You need to get the paint that is not adhering off and out of the way as anything you put over it will suffer the adhesion problem. If painting, you would sand/prep and prime, then apply finish coats. If you have to strip everything down to the wood you may want to do this and save the Rustoleum product for someplace else?

I have not used the Rustoleum cabinet product but others on this site seem to have achieved results they liked. The company is not known for making false product claims so I guess I would be inclined to follow whatever instructions they suggest for the product.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Painting Cabinets

if its coming off in sheets just go for it ,you might get lucky. i have striped paint on poorly prepared surfaces with nothing but a spray bottle of water and a green scrub pad , scraper; and wet sand paper . so if you used a painter stripper i think you would make good progress .any who it needs striped .theirs some demos on you tube on how to strip,just make sure you type in furniture strip i have used rustoleum cabinet restore and i had very good results .they give you a video with the kit and it is very diy friendly

Last edited by ltd; 03-28-2012 at 10:03 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting Cabinets

If tape stripped the paint, use tape in the detail. Unfortunately, bonding a new finish to a finish that itself isn't bonded to the substrate is a losing proposition. I run across this more and more. People who slap paint on on their way out the door are doing no favor new owners, or the house they once loved and called home. Shady painting contractors a guilty as well. It's frustrating I know, but something you just have to deal with.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Painting Cabinets

I have sold Rust Oleum Industrial products for many years and can attest to the integrity of their company. That being said, after watching the cabinet transformations video on their website, there are things you need to know. First, and most important, their system is all predicated on a sound substrate. This is not for peeling paint. You could gold-plate your cabinets and they would still peel. Second, they make it look soooo easy. (They are dressed business-casual); it's not!

You are faced with stripping, neutralizing, sanding, undercoating and finishing your cabinets. It is not beyond the realm of DIY, but it is on the border of hiring out a professional painting contractor if you want professional results. In making that decision, don't call it "Cabinets," call it, "Kitchen Furniture."

Good luck with your project!
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Painting Cabinets

If you use the Rustoleum kit, you just need to remove the peeling paint first, and then follow the instructions. The kits assumes you are starting with sound cabinets, not a peeling mess.

If it came of with tape, i'd say you'll have no problem removing it with just water, a scraper, and elbow grease.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Painting Cabinets

Thanks for the input, everyone. I may be going the professional route for this one after reading the above comments (more of a time commitment than anything - I have a 2 year old and another baby due in the next couple of months). The amount of shoddy work the previous owner did in preparing the house for sale is astounding - we're in for 10s of thousands in repairing what he "fixed" inside and outside of the house. It's bothers me that some people have zero pride in their own homes... At least it allowed me to learn a good amount about my house, fixing things the right way, and gave me the opportunity to buy a whole bunch of tools.
NJHomebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #8

Painting Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You need to get the paint that is not adhering off and out of the way as anything you put over it will suffer the adhesion problem. If painting, you would sand/prep and prime, then apply finish coats. If you have to strip everything down to the wood you may want to do this and save the Rustoleum product for someplace else?

I have not used the Rustoleum cabinet product but others on this site seem to have achieved results they liked. The company is not known for making false product claims so I guess I would be inclined to follow whatever instructions they suggest for the product.
DEFINITELY SAND IT!!!!!

I made the absolute horrid mistake of not doing this and have to start all over

StainlessRailGi is offline   Reply With Quote